Marinating ribs in rub overnight?

Depending on the salt levels of the rub you are using, yes to both. I have known a few cooks that let their ribs sit with rub on them for hours with good results. But, the rub was tailored for that use.

I don't with most of the rubs I use as the ribs can taste "hammy".

I've done it plenty of times. Comes out perfectly fine even using commercial rubs.

I like ribs in rub for a few hours, not too much longer unless they're really large ribs. I always rub brisket the night before

I prep my ribs in less than 15 min and they are on the fire. Years ago I used to do the night before rub thing. Then after a long night of boot scootin beer and a shaply roomy for the night to entertain it didn't happen. So in the morning they got preped as the pit was warmin up. There was no difference in the end. So I have continued the practice.

Does it make to salty or change the texture?

Give it a try and see what you think. No other way to know for your pallet. We've done overnight with no issue on some rubs. Salt content does play into that of course. Experimenting is half the fun :clap2:

I like my rubs put on while I'm waiting for the pit to heat up. I've done it WELL in advance on most every kind of cut there is and just don't like it. Some things taste hammy, some things have a texture or odd mouth feel. Also, as I progress in age I tend to be a little more sensitive to salt and longer dry brining can have some interesting effects on me. Not horrid.....just would rather avoid it.

Attachments

• 4303600-ren+and+stimpy.jpg
    4303600-ren+and+stimpy.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 207
Question: is there any method of seasoning ham so it comes off the smoker tasting ribby?

LOL:becky: Love it. I would love to find that one. The rib truly is the perfect food!

I make all my own rubs. I put the rub on my ribs very late the night before I cook them and then wrap them in plastic wrap, so I guess about 5 to 6 hours in rub. Never found a "hammy taste" They always come out very tasty so I am not likely to change. Process is a big part of my cooking so I typically stick with a routine if it works.

salt or sugar based rubs overnight=ham to me.

Agreed....large cuts I've done overnight, but haven't been able to tell the difference compared to adding rub an hour prior, I usually apply rub then start the pit.....I notice a change in texture in ribs when rubbing too far in advance, not bad but i prefer it the way I do it now.

I don't with most of the rubs I use as the ribs can taste "hammy".

+1 for this, if you are going to rub and let sit a long time at least halve the salt in the rub. Should add flavor not cure the meat.

I generally will always prep and rub everything the night before since most of my cooks I start early in the morning. I'd rather put my focus on getting the pit started and making coffee, not having to prep all the meat.

I rub while the grill is getting ready. Why make a mess twice, plus the risk of contamination in the frig?

I rub up to 24 hours in advance (low salt rub), wrap each rack cellophane and refrigerate. Then I clean up that mess. there is no secondary mess and I am not rushed to clean up after rubbing to get my pit ready.

Next day I am ready to rock and only have to deal with my pit, which can be a little finicky to start and get up to temp. Here again, I don't feel rushed to do both at the same time.

Never had a hammy rib.

Prep my Ribs put on the Rub and then fire up the Smoker.

Back