Freezer Alarm Recommendations

MS2SB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I just bought a new chest freezer and need recs on a good freezer alarm.

This just got brought up not long ago. If power loss is the main concern then a loud failed circuit alarm is the most dependable imo. You can hook up a simple Taylor and keep it at the freezer to keep an eye on the temp.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Failed-Circuit-Alarm-New-Style/dp/B0077Q9NC6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440440020&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=open+circuit+freezer+alarm"]Failed Circuit Alarm (New Style) - Household Alarms And Detectors - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MDkXMcBGL.@@AMEPARAM@@51MDkXMcBGL[/ame]

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215428&highlight=freezer+alarm

The AccuRite that I bought works very well. It keeps a history of the high and low temps, has an alarm and the temps can be reset when you make a change. I like that it is wireless and the range is pretty good. I have one remote inside and one in the garage. Only issue is if you put warm items near the therm it will set off the alarm. I freaked out the first time my wife put a 6 pack of cokes in the fridge right next to the therm and it was reading 42 degrees. Also, the suction cup mounts don't work but the clips do so I am ok with that.

Does the Accurite keep the high and low readings "long term" or does it automatically reset them every 24 hours?

I bought a couple of their temp/humidity sensors to keep track of the conditions in my Mom's cellar, and they all reset the high /low numbers every 24 hours.

I contacted their support asking for a model without this 24 hour "feature" and they never answered me.

JBP

Does the Accurite keep the high and low readings "long term" or does it automatically reset them every 24 hours?

I bought a couple of their temp/humidity sensors to keep track of the conditions in my Mom's cellar, and they all reset the high /low numbers every 24 hours.

I contacted their support asking for a model without this 24 hour "feature" and they never answered me.

JBP

I don't remember them resetting but I never thought about double checking them either. I will try to remember and post it here.

from the manufacturer:

"High & Low Records
The thermometer tracks the high and low temperatures recorded for the fridge and the freezer. These readings reflect the all-time highest and lowest temperatures recorded - manually reset as needed."

Thanks PJ, I think this in combination with the circuit alarm should be pretty good insurance.

While this may be out of the league for most readers here.

I installed this unit

with remote probes (T280R) on all my freezers and connected them into my home alarm system. Programmable high and low points, programmable delay (used to ignore when door is opened). Units are powered by 12v DC of the security panel which also monitors AC power loss.

This will give an audible alert at the freezer, on the alarm systems keypads, and the alarm will also send alerts to my smartphone.

I just have a night light plugged into the same circuit as the freezer. I'm in the storage room every day, so at a quick glance I can see if there is no power to the freezer. Doesn't help if the freezer compressor or motor dies.

I appreciate this thread. I want this for my freezer and wouldn't mind knowing if my sump pump has no power!

JBP

I have been checking it several times per day. I have not seen it reset. The hi temp has changed once but that was because we put something warm near the therm. The low temp has not changed. The alarm is not extremely loud but you can here it from a room or 2 away.

Back