Are coolers acceptable?

mikeleonard81

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Here goes my first thread! New here ladies and gentleman so bear with me please. I cant seem to find out online if coolers are ok at keeping your meat cold at street fairs or carnivals. Any help in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I done a festival down here and it was ok. it really depends on your local HD. Call and talk to your local health department they will let you know.

ck your health dept,,no water can touch food, beverage canot touch water, beverage can not be self serve..LOTS of no no and maybes

Talked to the health department. They said refrigeration is needede for protien. All the worktop refrigerators I've seen weigh about 300 lbs or more. Any ideas on brands that may cater to mobile bbq?

In Austin, TX coolers are OK. The coolers can't be on the ground and the drain valves must be left open and drain into a bucket.

How much are you planning on storing? A smaller refrigerator on dollies may work for you.

The size of festivals I'm looking at I would need 30 or so butts and 30 or so loins I think. I don't know if a small fridge would work or not.

I use a small freezer chest ($125) and a micro-beer thermostat ($40) to store large quantities of meat. the thermostat shuts off the power to the unit at a pre set temp, usually around 32 for my purposes.

Check Craigslist for used chest freezers, you might find a good deal on one.

You can sometimes get in with other vendors and split costs with them and a supplier like Sysco. They will bring a cooler truck onsite for the right amount and you can just go over to the truck and pull a case as needed.

Back