Using plowboys yardbird rub first time?

racerfreed

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I have been usin famous daves rib rub for a cpl years. I prep my ribs the night before. Wash em. Pull membrane. Apply generous amount of rub. And refrigerate over night. Im trying out the yardbird rub by plowboys tomorrow. Should i stick to my same prep or is there anything i need to be cautious about using the yardbird rub?

Why rub for so long? They usually get a little "hammy"

To me Yardbird is salty - which for me is awesome for chicken, but not so much for pork.
I used to use your same method for my ribs that you use now. These days I pull the ribs out of the fridge, pull the membrane and rub, then go fire up the pit. When the pit is ready throw the ribs on... easy...

My recommendations for using plowboys yardbird on ribs.

1- prep the ribs. Wash, pull membrane, rub it up. Plowboys Yardbird is very salt, so be careful to not put too much on it. I think a nice even light to medium coating of plowboys is best. Put ribs in the fridge.

2- get pit started. Cook at whatever temperature you are used too.

3- once pit is ready put ribs on the pit. You do not need to have the ribs rubbed over night. This does lead to a texture change in the meat if you the salt content is high in your rub. It leads to a "hammy" texture. I always prep my ribs, go get the pit ready. Once pit is ready then go into the smoker. That is enough time for the rub to get into the ribs.

4- cook until the ribs pass the bend test. This is the true form of being done. Not time or temperature. If you want to wrap you can, if you want to go nekkid you can. Whatever your preference is here.

Thanks for the replys guys. Gonna prep right before tomorrow morning. Ive always done em over night. Not sure why. i think i read it somewhere and tried it. Seemed to turn out ok. I usually smoke apple wood. 230-260. Ribs in smoke for 2 hrs. Spritzed with apple juice every half hr. Wrap in foil for about 2 hrs. When i think they are getting close to tender enough i put honey and brown sugar on and wrap back up for 20-30 minutes. Serve my bbq sauce on the side.

I agree with the other posts that you do not need to prep and rub the night before. i use to do it that way as well, but now prepare the ribs as my smoker heats up.
Love the Yardbird rub as well, it is a bit salty so go "easy" with it...

+1 with LMAJ. By the time the fire is ready, the rub topped with brown sugar will have melted and is ready for the heat.

I wouldn't apply Yardbird to ribs more than an hour in advance due to the salt content. Apply it a half-hour or so early just so the rub gets wet and soaks into the rubs and you are good to go. Too long in advance it can start to cure them and make them hammy as others said. With big cuts, a few hours or overnight is fine. But I wouldn't with small cuts.

Yep, tried overnight with yardbird and they were hammy. I don't go overnight with anything anymore really.

Light pit, prep ribs, witness thin blue, throw ribs on, seems to work for me. :thumb:

Back