2017 Green Chile Harvest---FYI

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've got just one pack left from last year. On another note can't believe it's that time of year again. :shock:

I've already been informed by Mrs. 4ever3 that we didn't put up enough last year...
I took that as a challenge. Amen...

Just mentioned to a friend, Hatch Chile season hits my area mid August. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Looks like I can use the 2 vac sealed packages of Hatch Hot roasted, skinned & chopped that I've been hoarding.

I always see you raving about these. Is there a pepper that is similar before I order 25# and don't like them? My favorite pepper is a Hungarian wax just for reference

Anaheim. Buy 12-18. 7-12" long. Blister over coals. Sweat in a food safe bag till cool(ish). Remove charred skin and cook. Or freeze with charred skin on and remove the charred when ready to cook. They really do taste great any way you cook them. I don't like them in cold cereal, but I have put them in hot cinnamon blueberry oatmeal with crumbled Fatty.

So Mr Adams if I were to order 25# should I go with mild or medium?

I'd wait and see if they show up in your store- Ask your produce manager. Watch your Spanish grocery store for large tumbler set ups for fresh roasted known as Chile Fests. If you get some that are too warm for your taste, cut em with tomatillos sauce.

Find a buddy to split with one of each.

Last year I bought a case of the hot. :mad2: :flame: :shocked: WOW!!!!

This year I think I'll go mild or medium. Maybe mild, so I can mix in the hot.

This! I got only hot and medium and the hatch chiles were way toooo hot:mad2: I went and got a bushel of mild and they were still a little hot. Used my last bag of mild about a month ago and had to make a batch of green chile with the mediums. Rough! Can't wait to buy a bunch of milds this year!

I gotta try these one day.I grow my own Anaheims and they are perfect for my taste.I gotta see what the Hatch craze is all about.If they are better than my Anaheims,they should be illegal.

I'd wait and see if they show up in your store- Ask your produce manager. Watch your Spanish grocery store for large tumbler set ups for fresh roasted known as Chile Fests. If you get some that are too warm for your taste, cut em with tomatillos sauce.

Find a buddy to split with one of each.
I actually noticed them in the Navy Base Commissary last year so I'm sure they will get them again. If I remember correctly they had them listed as mild and hot.

Last edited:
I'm glad I have taste buds for the normal spices. I'm running out of room.

Love Hatch Chile season. We are a couple hours away and can go pick our own if we want. We have done that many times. The mild is still hot. LoL. The mild is known more for its flesh. They tend to be meatier than some of the thinner and less fleshy hot and X varieties. You can get X, XX, etc. Normally, the smaller, thinner strains are the brutal ones. Had some one year that made my ears, eyes, entire face burn melt and even made me puke. They grow many varieties that never make it to stores, but more so for the local area. Some farms even grow rows of reapers, ghosts, and some personal varieties, some amazing jalapeños, yellow jalapeños, etc. Love the smell in the air during that time. All of the grocery stores have the roasters going. Best damn smell ever!

Bob

NMSU is a stone throw away from Hatch, NM. They have done a knock out job of documenting the varieties in the area and have created some incredible varieties of their own. If you like to grow your own, order from them. I have bought seeds from em, and have grown great plants and results.

https://cpi.nmsu.edu

Bob

The mild is still hot. LoL. The mild is known more for its flesh. They tend to be meatier than some of the thinner and less fleshy hot and X varieties. You can get X, XX, etc.

Bob

Yeah I don't really trust the place on the side of the road where I picked these up. He let me try a medium there and I took a huge bite out of the raw medium and it tasted mild so I bought hot and a bushel of medium. When we went to cook the mediums they were really hot. Nothing like what I tasted at the place. The guy was probably playing a joke on me! I am going to have a friend of mine in Pueblo buy for me this year right from the source. Hope they will be better than the stand on the side of the road!

Back