Blues hogs...advice

Beentown

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Doing a big cook for the church again and was thinking of ordering some Blues Hogs. Never tried it and I wanna keep it as simple as possible so I am going commercial for the sauce (doing 40 racks, half to be sauced). I usually make my own but I am skipping that since I have other duties.

Do you like the original Blues Hogs and where is the cheapest place to order? Probably going to get a half gallon. Shipping seems to be the issue some places.

Thanks Brethren!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In my opinion Blues Hog is best when you mix the original and the Tennessee Red 60/40 or 50/50. If you don't want to mix, they have a Competition Blend which is a mixture. Slightly sweet and savory with a slight tang of vinegar, and a hunt of pepper.

Last edited:
You really need to taste it before you commit to your big cook.

I tried it once and my wife and I both agreed that it is far too sweet for our taste. I think we ended up throwing it away.

Last edited:
I really enjoy it cut with Tennessee as well. Straight up i don't care for it. My wife and most of her girl friends didn't care for either version at a party we had. They all preferred the SBR

Full Strut is a very good bbq sauce, he also owns the blues hog makers old pit and has a restaurant here in town

You really need to taste it before you commit to your big cook.

I tried it once and my wife and I both agreed that it is far to sweet for our taste. I think we ended up throwing it away.

Yea, I just bought some and I'm not a fan.

Atlanta BBQ Store has $9.99 flat rate shipping, I order products from them and Big Poppas Smokers when I can take advantage of their free shipping, sometimes they have free shipping promo's regardless of amount spent.

I gotta be honest, I didn't care for it at all. Typically, I can tolerate most rubs/sauces. Even if they aren't a wow factor for me, they're still a good addition. I used it on free BBQ I gave away. I would most definitely try it before you commit to that much of a cook, like mentioned above.

It is much better when mixed with the Tennessee Red. On it's own (I think) most agree it's just too sweet. That's why they made the competition blend.

Hmmm...this stuff is usually held pretty high. I certainly wouldn't use it without trying it first. I KNOW mine is good but was wanting to skip another "responsibility". Looks like I will just make mine again.

I love a 60/40 blend of Original to Tennessee Red. I just recently tried their Smokey Mountain sauce. It was sweet but good.

As others have stated, it's pretty sweet, and very thick. I make my own sauce, which is not as sweet or as thick. I mix it 50-50 with the Blues Hog and it works very well.

Since you don't have time to make your own, I'd mix it with their Tennessee Red as suggested above.

Personally, I really like it and will continue to use it.

2 cups SBR
1/2 cup ACV
1/2 cup honey
Tbsp OP
Tbsp GP

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Love BH but I would definitely taste it before a big cook like that. There are many good sauces out there that are local to your area that would do just as well. SBR is a good base to make a quick doctored sauce as well.

Good luck on your cook!

I have had Blues Hog and felt it was like eating straight sugar...yech! That said, I personally wouldn't hesitate to jump right in with the 50/50 mixture or the Competition blend, as either of these would no-doubt be a great sauce since the only problem was too much sugar.

If you still plan to avoid making your own, split the difference and go with the Competition or the mix. Either way, the resulting sauce should have something for everyone. I think I'm going to order the Competition and give it a whirl.

Go with what you know and make your own, its worth the extra effort just for the piece of mind.

What also needs to be mentioned is that the "sweet" in blues hog is composed of different types of sweetness aside from just sugar. You get tamarind notes, you get liquorice bark notes and others sweet profiles. It is unique and complex to say the least and far different than your typical store bought jazzed up ketchup. I use it quite a bit as a glaze or in baked beans. Their vinegar based one is pretty good too. Almost done with a couple half gallons (regular and red) my self. What I recommend is picking up a dozen squirt bottles from Walmart (under a buck each) and having several different sauces for your guests to choose from, blues hog being one of them. Remember that your guests may not exactly have a sophisticated BBQ palate and some may just love the sweet stuff. I did this at a competition and the blues hog was gone before the others and people were asking me what it was. Highly recommend trying it along with several other brands.

They have requested "cooked on" sauce.

I may just doctor up some SBR. It is generally too thick so I will thin it and add some fixing to finish the sauce.

Back