Spg rub

bucko

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good ratio for salt pepper and garlic rub a video on you tube showed 4 2 1 ratio 4 salt 2 garlic 1 black pepper does that sound like too much salt going to smoke some baby back ribs tomorrow and thought about just using salt pepper and garlic thanks

Lots of folks have their own ideas, but I use 2 parts each of salt and pepper and 1 part each of onion and garlic. I keep mine in a shaker in the freezer. It's great also for veggies and salads.

Parts by weight?
Parts by volume?
Table salt?
Kosher salt?

There can be huge differences if one person is thinking pennyweights-per-fortnight and another is thinking decibels-per-gradient.

Spg

I guess 4 2 1 could b 4 cups 4 tablespoons or 4 teaspoons using kosher salt course ground black pepper and granulated garlic

You can take this with a grain o salt :laugh: but IMnotalwaysHO that is too much salt. I like to go with 1 1/2 Tbsp pepper, 1 Tbsp salt, 1 tsp garlic and I use 1 tsp onion. This is my all purpose seasoning. Thats just me though

Spg

Too many fancy words there didn't understand what your saying not trying to get too complicated its just a BBQ rub but thanks

I'm going to go out on a limb & say the OP is measuring by volume...like 99.9% of the other people out there. And table salt...non-iodized.

I'm also going to vote that he try his recipe/ratios just as listed. When using SPG you aren't fully coating the meat like I see some people doing with specific bbq rubs. You'll want a gentle sprinkle...you're seasoning, not trying to coat the meat in a crust.

To answer your question yes it will be way too salty.

My simple SPOB rub is as follows:

2 oz kosher salt
2 oz course ground black pepper
1 oz granulated garlic
1 oz granulated onion

This rub works on almost anything

To answer your question yes it will be way too salty.

My simple SPOB rub is as follows:

2 oz kosher salt
2 oz course ground black pepper
1 oz granulated garlic
1 oz granulated onion

This rub works on almost anything

This is the mix I started with. I now cut the salt in half. Measuring by weight means that you get consistent results whichever form of salt you use.
This subject comes up so often that I've saved a chart. If you go by volume, table salt could be almost twice as salty as kosher.
Salt%20conversion_zpsgr0rgoie.png

Last edited:
2-3* fingers coarse black pepper
1finger Morton kosher salt
Pinky finger granulated onion
Pinky finger granulated garlic

*Optional: sub one finger CBP with 1 pinky finger green chile powder

My fingers aren't flavored, plus I only have a limited supply.:wink:

I didn't realize rocks glass were in vouge in the kitchen. To each his own.

My recipe:
1 cup Kosher salt
1 cup ground pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic

I only used this on beef.
I have different one for pork.

That's the way my old man used to mix his Brandy Manhattans!

Deleted: to long winded :)

Last edited:
I go by volume, but I always use kosher salt. As I said, everyone has their own taste.

I had a 4 finger bag one time. Cost me a house, a car and 1/2 of everything else.

Back