How Sweet do you go?

i mostly do butts for pulled pork sandwiches. Mostly vinegar based with some light amount of sugars.

I like Blues Hog 60/40. Original is too sweet for me and I can't handle Tennessee Red on its own. But only on Pork. No sauce on beef, sometimes a memphis style sauce on chicken.

I don't really have a sweet tooth so I'm not into candied up BBQ especially beef, some of the best beef I've smoked was rubbed with just salt and pepper. Next slab of Full Spares I do, planning on going with just S&P and see how they turn out.

I almost never add BBQ sauce to anything before it's served, once in awhile I'll glaze Ribs for my wife, sauce is put on the table and if people want it, it is there to use. Sometimes I will put a little Blues Hog Tennessee Red which is a vinegar based sauce or Swamp Boys Boot Leg Red Vinegar BBQ Sauce on Pulled Pork. The Boot Leg Red only has 1gm of sugar per serving and is more of a table vinegar than a BBQ sauce, it's good on veggies too.

My wife likes sweet BBQ sauces especially Sweet Baby Ray's and Blues Hog Original, she puts sauce on almost everything I smoke be it beef, pork or poultry and would probably love Comp Style BBQ so hey to each his/her own.

I like to do a 50/50 mix of Blues Hog Tennessee Red with Blues Hog Original.

Full on savoury for me :cool:

Hot, spicy, tangy....
I am not much of a sauce person though.
I like to marinade and/or use a rub, but will hardly ever use sauce (except for satay sauce with satays and chili paste with lots of things)

I did some ribs with 1/2 apricot preserves and 1/2 Stubbs Sweet Heat. It wasn't bad atall!

Back