Kroger Lump?

Kidcurry73

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Anyone ever use it? I could not find anything about the manufacturer on the bag. I was thinking about trying some this weekend on the UDS. I have only used kingsford bricks up until now...maybe I should wait to switch till after the 4th.:icon_shock1:

found a couple thumbs up from some users that liked it and an older reference that "Kroger" lump charcoal used to be made by "Hickory Specialties" which has since been been bought by Royal Oak, don't know if they are the current supplier

Thanks Bigwilly, I think I came up with the same results you did in my search, I had seen that HS had gone away but I did not know they had been bought out by Royal.

Not sure about Kroger lump, but the lump charcoal from Wally World sure does burn FAST...

A true brother would buy a pallet and let us all know! :mrgreen:

I bought some to use but really have nothing to compare it to except kingsford briquets...I am not going to use it tomorrow because I am doing two butts and a brisket and have to go with what I know for safety sakes.

Just noticed you are in Chino Valley, isn't there plentiful Mesquite where you are? I know you couldn't get away from Mesquite Dead falls near Chivo Falls outside of Tucson a few years ago...

Some I guess if you look for it, more juniper, pine and scrub oak...we sit at about 5,ooo feet here. Between Flag and Phoenix.

Mesquite is a little too strong for me anyways.

There is some good 4wheeling out Chino Falls way!!

My local Kroger carries them, but they only put 2 bags out at a time (probably have more in the back if i asked).

I've used them with good results and wouldn't hesitate to buy more. I'm still testing out different types of coal on my new smoker to see what works best for me. So far, everything's working great with the exception of the Sam's Choice briquettes (that stuff had an awful smell).

It's cheap $4.49 a bag ($4.19 every once in a while)

sams choice briquettes are made by royal oak. i've used it many times and didn't think it was bad at all. interesting.

sams choice briquettes are made by royal oak. i've used it many times and didn't think it was bad at all. interesting.

Me too up until this year.
I used to use that stuff regularly, but for some reason the last 2 bags (bought at different times) have had a noticeable smell that wasn't to my liking and much different from years past.

Back