Ribs

DR

Take a breath!
Reaction score
So i was hoping my local WalMart would keep carrying the Smithfield Extra Tender ribs, but i stopped by there at noon and no such luck :cry::cry:. But they are carrying some really nice looking Tyson Brand St. Louis Spares.

Anyone try these yet?

DR

So i was hoping my local WalMart would keep carrying the Smithfield Extra Tender ribs, but i stopped by there at noon and no such luck :cry::cry:. But they are carrying some really nice looking Tyson Brand St. Louis Spares.

Anyone try these yet?

DR

Which Wal-Mart? I looked at the one off 249 south of 99 last weekend and was disappointed :(

I tried 2 racks alongside some smithfields. The tysons had a horrible rubberlike aftertaste. I threw both racks away.

I cooked one rack last week for a friend. They weren't as meaty as the smithfield ribs were , but he didn't have any complaints about the taste.

I tried 2 racks alongside some smithfields. The tysons had a horrible rubberlike aftertaste. I threw both racks away.

That's sad to hear. I secretly cooked Tyson enhanced butts several times this season with a good amount of success. I haven't tried the ribs though.

I cooked some Tyson after our wal mart quit carrying Smithfield and was very disappointed. I have had good success with Indiana Kitchen brand ribs though since.

After reading this thread, I decided to pick some Tyson spares up and give better input than "my buddy liked em". Picked up 2 racks, both in the 4lb range, most of them seemed to be between 3.6-4.0lb at my local Wal-Mart. The marbling on both racks was great, really surprising how well the ribs looked. Seasoned/cooked the exact way I would for competition. The taste was fine, texture was...different, but the moisture was way off of what I would expect out of the ET ribs.

TLDR;
Smithfield>Tyson

DR, I see you are from Tomball. I assume you've been to Smitty's meat market?

Back