1rst Packer on the Joe, No Stall ?

mcdeadstein

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This past weekend I picked up a 14.5 "Superior Angus Beef" packer from rest depot. This was the highest grade brisket they had which I suppose means "high choice" as there are no prime briskets in my area.

Trimmed from 14.5lb down to ~11lb and put on the classic joe. Dome temp hovered around 265-275 the entire cook. My experience with all of my other cooks on the Joe is that dome temp starts about 50 deg higher than grate temp and as the ceramic saturates the differential narrows to about 20-25 deg.

After about ~4.5 hours my probe alarm went off that it was already up to 165, it then cruised right through up to 203 deg in the fattest point of the flat. Total cook time was right around 6.5 hours. I was in disbelief. I boil tested my thermometers and they were all spot on.

So I took the meat off, wrapped for 2 hours and tested it. Overall the meat was very good but I was expecting it to be a little more tender at 203deg. It was by no means tough but the point especially did not get to that almost shredded beef range.

Anyone else experience this? I have read about short cooks but this is extremely short. Maybe the brisket was a lot leaner than i thought? Maybe I shouldn't complain?

The pics below are at the beginning of the cook and the 2nd is right as I was approaching 165. Do not have any finished pics on my phone at the moment.

Attachments

• OEm7HDQ.jpg
    OEm7HDQ.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 9CNS9WE.jpg
    9CNS9WE.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 16
Back