Weber Smokey Mountain vs PBC

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
If price were the same, which would you buy and why?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

WSM, because it seems more versatile to me. You can use it like a PBC, or the traditional “WSM way”. I’ve owned both, btw.

I'd pick WSM for cooking flexiblity, a domed lid, charcoal capacity, ease of internal access and ease of clean up. I do prefer to hang most proteins.

WSM...

That is all...

PBC. I had three WSM's and ended up selling all three after getting the PBC.

I’ve never cooked on the PBC, but I’ve seen some amazing things come off those cookers from Breathren who swear by them. But with that said, I’m in the WSM camp. The Droid was my first smoker... so cutting my teeth and learning how to get the most out of that cooker has been a true journey. I love the flexibility, and with practice, the ease of use to turn out consistent, repeatable and tasty cooks.

Maybe I’d feel different if my first cooker was a PBC or a drum... but I’m really happy with The Droid, so I’m voting WSM.

Depends. You want rock solid out of the box with expanded capacity to hang, or do you want to buy something you need to tweak and upgrade?

PBC comes out of the box with grate and hanging. 8 racks of ribs, 3-4 briskets, 8 chicken halves. No need for a PID. No vents to adjust or chase every cook. Set it once based on altitude. No door to upgrade or seal or make tighter. No water pan to empty or foil or fill with sand or clay heat sinks.

If you prefer to play with tweaking and adjust and pay extra for hanging racks. Then for sure get the WSM.

WSM, can use with or without a water pan, doesnt NEED a PID, doesn't NEED gaskets, can hang anything you want, set the vents and go drink a beer, hardly any tweaking, easy to take apart and clean or dump ashes, and can usually be found gently used for 100 bucks,

But if you prefer to cook in a garbage can, then for sure, get a PBC...:razz:

I have both and prefer 22 WSM if could only have 1. The pbc is my go to for chicken and ribs and WSM is my brisket and pork butt cooker.

I prefer a world that allows me to have both. Super well price given their longevity and performance.

Another big difference is....do you like the taste of fat and juices burning on coals or not? For me, that’s a hard pass on bigger cuts like brisket and pork. You don’t HAVE to cook that way on a WSM, but the inverse doesn’t hold true. Matter of personal preference, of course.

Thanks for the feedback. A twice used 22 WSM was on CL for cheap but I missed it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I have both. I cook on both all of the time. If I could pick just one, it would no doubt be the WSM.

It virtually cooks identical to a PBC except you can dial in the temps low and slow or hot and fast. It can be ran like a UDS without the water pan or used as a water smoker with the pan. It has two cooking levels. You can buy a rib hanging rack and use it exactly like a PBC. It holds more coals and from my experience burns longer. I've had mine go 18 hours on a full load. Both are great, but if they are both the same price I think the WSM is better.

Out of the box, the PBC is as good as it's going to get. The WSM on the other hand, has more potential. More ways to cook, more accessories, temperature control etc...

Do what I did. Get both. I got both used on facebook for less than the price of one.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

WSM, can use with or without a water pan, doesnt NEED a PID, doesn't NEED gaskets, can hang anything you want, set the vents and go drink a beer, hardly any tweaking, easy to take apart and clean or dump ashes, and can usually be found gently used for 100 bucks,

But if you prefer to cook in a garbage can, then for sure, get a PBC...:razz:

:laugh:

Another big difference is....do you like the taste of fat and juices burning on coals or not? For me, that’s a hard pass on bigger cuts like brisket and pork. You don’t HAVE to cook that way on a WSM, but the inverse doesn’t hold true. Matter of personal preference, of course.
Agreed. WSM is more versatile.

Back