Pit Barrel Cooker Goes Upscale

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Saw this recently at Amazingribs.com:

"At the end of 2014, to address the dramatic increase in demand, Pit Barrel moved manufacturing from Colorado to a much larger facility in California. They also changed from 20 gauge to thicker 18 gauge steel, and from powder coating to more durable porcelain enamel coating. Additionally, the charcoal basket was upgraded from expanded metal to a heavier steel rod grate."

I sent an email to PBC to confirm this, as I did not see anything on their website about this other than a brief mention in the FAQs section. Amber confirmed the updates, but said they had decided to do a "soft launch" initially and will make at an official announcement sometime in the coming days.

She also said that it is the same porcelain enamel coating used by Weber. And although the new coating cost three times the amount of the powder coat they have been using, they have only raised the price by $10, for a total price of $299. Which including shipping, the two jars of rubs, and the hook removal tool.

To me that is a great deal as I love how the PBC cooks chicken, ribs, tri-tip, pork butts, etc.

I paid $269 for my PBC when I ordered it last spring, so I still think I got a great price. But if I was in the market for a new smoker right now, would love to have the porcelain finish. If it is indeed as good a coating as the Weber, it should last for years.

Anyone own one of the new models yet? Would be curious what you think of it. Thanks!

I got one just before Christmas. Haven't got a chance to do much with it because of weather and work. Looks great. When I ordered it , it took four business days before they shipped it. I thought they meant they would have it to me in that time since I ordered on a Thursday night. It's hard to be patient when you order a new toy. Lol.

I honestly never see myself without a PBC. But I'm not going to upgrade until mine craps out, or gets confiscated by my son. Maybe, maybe not. I really want a baby Glock 10MM. Maybe both. It's almost Texas Independence Day.

Who the heck moves to California to do business, you move AWAY from here.

Hmmm, now that they are a California company, maybe I should think about this.

I honestly never see myself without a PBC. But I'm not going to upgrade until mine craps out, or gets confiscated by my son. Maybe, maybe not. I really want a baby Glock 10MM. Maybe both. It's almost Texas Independence Day.
That is a sweet shooter and it will handle full blown handloads just fine. Although the brass wears out faster. Still, you can really load it up and your hand doesn't feel it at all after you're done shooting.

Never heard of moving to California to do business. Everything is more expensive here. But id like to see a new version. Hate to upgrade but mine has fallen off my truck before so i have a little rust I have to take care of now and then.

Sounds cool. That was one thing I always thought when looking at my PBC next to my Webers, "If only it had that nice porcelain enamel coating." Should make them even nicer. I guess the good news for us old style owners is that now we have collectors items. Lets wait 5 years and then swear the old ones cook much better!

Im upgrading for sure:grin:. Ill sell the 1st gen PBC or gift it to someone of I get offered crap money for it.

Probably my next smoker purchase. That will also probably be when my wife changes the locks on the doors. :-o

Back