Makin' Some Bacon

BruceB

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
It's BACON DAY......finally!

I set up the WSM with two charcoal baskets and filled the center trough with Chef Select briquettes. I left an empty spot at the end for about 8-10 lit coals. Using apple wood and 1 cherry chunk (mostly for color)

Put the belly on at 10am, WSM hanging right at 174℉. Going to take it to an internal temp of 147℉.

More updates and pics as they become available or as the news warrants.

Nice fire basket you made for your WSM. I may have to give bacon a try one of these days using the hanging rack.

Finally finished, after 6 hours. WSM held at 170-185 all day. Finish temp 147℉, now into an ice bath for an hour or so then wrap and into the fridge overnight.

Belly looks perfectly smoked, I got a hanging rack also, gotta try that, thanks for the post.

That looks GREAT.I put 8 slabs into the cure fridge today.Got 2 more whole fresh bellies to make pancetta and porchetta out of and 4 jowls to do something with.

Looks good. I love curing things.

Looks great. Why a ice bath?

I placed it in a large ziplock bag then into some cold water with ice. Just to get it cooled down right away. I wanted to get a slice or two for quality control (LOL) and its easier to slice when its cooled down.

Back