What do I have here.....piggy briskets?

ShencoSmoke

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was in restaurant depot yesterday and noticed these. They were only 3 bucks per package so I picked up a few. They look like what I call the "flap" that is cut off the end of a spare rib. They are thicker but if I'm not mistaken, wouldn't that be the equivalent of a beef brisket? And if you look at the grain, it looks even more like a brisket.
View attachment 105233

Last edited:
Looks like Piggy Briskets like you said..... .
I'd cover them in PlowBoys Yardbird and run them till a Shish Kabob skewer glides in easily then chop one, slice one and cube one then resprinkle the cubes pan them and put them back on uncovered for 30-45 minutes and drizzle Sweet Baby Rays over them for last 10 minutes cuz
Pork Burnt Ends are Delicious!!!!!

If its a flap from the rib section, rub it, cook it vertical in a PBC or WSM over coals,(no pan), just did one last week and it was very tasty and moist.

I wish I could find that cut n price here. I'd load up. :mrgreen:

From Wikipedia

Pork steaks, sometimes referred to as a Boston butt or pork blade steak, aresteaks cut from the shoulder of the pig. [1] Shoulder steaks are cut from the sameprimal cut of meat most commonly used for pulled pork, and can be quite tough without long cooking times due to the high amount of collagen in the meat. Because of this, pork shoulder steaks are often cooked slower than a typical beefsteak, and are often stewed or simmered in barbecue sauce during cooking.
Pork shoulder steaks are a staple of St. Louis-style barbecue. Their creation is attributed to Jim Lysaught and Gil Smith, second-generation owners of Schnuckssupermarket chain.[2] Pork steaks are considered a cheaper cut of meat, and they are often found on sale. [3]

I'd love to get some of them at those prices......look real good :thumb:

Those look similar to pork flat iron steaks that RD had in their flyer recently

From Wikipedia

Pork steaks, sometimes referred to as a Boston butt or pork blade steak, aresteaks cut from the shoulder of the pig. [1] Shoulder steaks are cut from the sameprimal cut of meat most commonly used for pulled pork, and can be quite tough without long cooking times due to the high amount of collagen in the meat. Because of this, pork shoulder steaks are often cooked slower than a typical beefsteak, and are often stewed or simmered in barbecue sauce during cooking.
Pork shoulder steaks are a staple of St. Louis-style barbecue. Their creation is attributed to Jim Lysaught and Gil Smith, second-generation owners of Schnuckssupermarket chain.[2] Pork steaks are considered a cheaper cut of meat, and they are often found on sale. [3]

I'd love to get some of them at those prices......look real good :thumb:

Not sure exactly what the cuts are, but they aren't blade steaks.

pork-blade-steak-fresh.jpg

You're right, they don't look the same.......sure would like me some whatever the fark they are.

A little and research found this on the prairie fresh website, they actually call it a brisket steak even though its not labeled that way on the package.

Pork Shoulder Brisket Steak

• Cut from the breast of pork shoulder.
  • Grill it like a steak!TM
  • Intramuscular infusion of a precise blend of lean pork protein and fat.
  • Pork with the highest degree of flavor, tenderness and juiciness will please patrons for repeat business.
  • Versatile pork cut that eats like the best cuts of beef!
  • Cooks quickly for limitless plate options.
Cut from the breast of pork, PrairieFresh Prime® pork shoulder brisket steak's versatility and ease of cooking allow this tender and delicious pork cut to fit into any menu. Grill it like a steak!TM Or pan sear, roast or smoke...the preparation methods are limitless. With the proprietary PrairieFresh Prime® process, each pork brisket steak is guaranteed tender and delicious.

That was my hunch, it's a sliced pork butt. The section away from the bone.

Sounds and looks like it would make a tasty steak

That sure does look like a brisket...

I have been getting "Pork Ribeyes" from HEB lately. They come preseasoned, but I always kick it up a little. They are great reverse seared with some thinned Spicy Stubb's brushed on them...

Here's what the cut looks like without the seasoning. Tender, juicy, fatty, pork deliciousness...

pork-south-texas-ribeye-raw1.jpg

Back