Weber kettle in winter - insulation needed?

Crotonmark

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys
If I want to do a pork butt long and slow and it's at freezing or below outdoors - do I need to insulate my 22.5" weber kettle? If I do- how do I do it and not block the upper or lower vents?
I use the snake method for cooking.

Thanks
Mark

Ive faired fine in sub zero temps but a winds screen helps.

If it is just cold, then you should be good, although you may burn more fuel. You will have to open your vents more to get your desired temps at worst. Good luck!

Blessings,

Omar

You should be fine. I have used my UDS (also thin guage metal) in sub zero temps and it works just fine. Experiment.

Air movement around an uninsulated cooker will really sap your temps. Placing some kind of screen between your cooker and the source direction of the breeze/wind will alleviate the issue quite a bit.

I use my WSMs in sub-zero temps frequently, and the windscreens help a lot.

What do you use as a windscreen?

Home Depot sells reflectix insulation that some have used. I've seen hinged plywood screens. My home blocks most prevailing winds from by bbq area so that's my solution.

I've used a couple of garbage cans with plastic wrapped around them as a wind screen. Or just move the grill out of the wind. You will use more fuel, also.

As others have stated - cold is fine, the wind seems to be the real killer. I've used my kettles and WSM down in the single digit temperature range on an otherwise calm day and have had no issues.

If you have access to a couple of sawhorses and a couple of pieces of plywood about 3 or 4ft w X 4 or 5ft h, just place them next to your kettle against the wind direction in whatever placement best cuts the wind. That'll help on a cold windy day - on a cold calm day, you should be OK and as others have mentioned you may use a bit more fuel.

What do you use as a windscreen?

I use 2'x4' 1/4" plywood panels set in a 2"x2" frame and hinge two of the panels together. I have 2 sets which allow me to enclose 2 WSMs.

2windscreensup.jpg
2windscreensup.jpg
2windscreensup.jpg
2windscreensup.jpg
2windscreensup.jpg

My Weber kettle is my "Go To" cooker no matter the weather.It is so predictable and never failed me.I would leave the top vents open and seal off 2/3 of the bottom.Make sure lid stays tightly shut.The "peekers" sometimes leave it cracked.

This is what I use. An old wool army blanket. One will make a cover for two 22" WSM. Insulates and blocks the wind.

Last edited:
I've used my WSM in mid-20s with no insulation or windscreen. I made sure the lid was tight and the charcoal door on the side was facing away from the wind.

It burned probably 50% more fuel than I do in the summer. The only time it struggled was near the end of the burn. In the summer even with just a handful coals left I could maintain 225, in the winter not a chance.

Next time I will try a windscreen and see if it helps.

I like the idea of insulation. Of course I have no idea how to build a windscreen and I don't see any being sold. I am NOT hands on

Back