• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

1st pork tenderloin...... any suggestions?

ZZBrewing

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I will be smoking my first pork tenderloin on Thursday and was thinking to use a dry rub and nothing else. Do I need to be concerned about it drying out? Also could use some recommendations on whether or not to use Cherry wood.

Thanks

It's a quick cook. I typically grill them to 135 internal and then rest. The carry over will bring it up to 140.

Cherry is great on pork!

What Ron said.

I've also had success cooking at lower temp, like turkey, but target pulling it off at 135F-140F.

You can treat them like ribs--they do great with anything from a little salt + pepper on up to rub, sauce, etc.

Inject with apple juice, grill, turning often, pull it off at 135, rest, slice on diagonal, good stuff!!

My tip - I typically buy these in the vac packages at the grocery. There are several products that look similar. Read the small print to find the one that is actually a tenderloin, not just loin.

step one season with a good pork rub
step two wrap in bacon weave
step three season bacon with said rub
step four smoke
step five enjoy

I roll the tenderloin (not loin) in butter in a pan w/ S+P and make it rare- med rare - slice on the bias. You absolutely will love it if you get a chance.

I like to butterfly a pork tenderloin lengthwise, flatten it out a bit, and season with salt, pepper, and lots of garlic. Then grill over a hot fire. Just takes a few minutes per side.
Pure porky goodness.

Last weekend

I first brine my tenderloins for a good 1 1/2 hours. :twitch:
Rinse a light coating of olive oil.
A nice apple hickory rub, them wrap with bacon and more rub.:clap2:
On smoker (with temp probe):thumb:
43E5A2DB-415F-4DC0-9653-717E41324C8C_zpsyxan2a2e.jpg

Smoked at 240 deg for about 2 hours, TAKE OFF at 250 deg F.
Here they are sliced:p
A9297004-1E61-4C06-BA3E-20320B4CE1BE_zps7pbwrukv.jpg

Close up
603F08DD-1564-46E4-AD91-3BCCD9192DA5_zpsklgx8ujm.jpg

On plate:arrow:
7E5195DE-5057-4830-AA37-9BFA3D105D04_zpskrfshh5r.jpg

Close up....look at the smoke ring and.....so juicy:blabla:
262190FE-CA37-46BC-8CFC-A59B88E5A736_zpsgt97m58p.jpg

Hope this helps!
They were real good:shocked:

Everett:
250 degrees internal? Is that a typo?

Welcome. I have fat fingers too.:biggrin1:

Wrap in bacon and some rub, grill it direct to crisp up the bacon and if the tenderloin is not done when the bacon is crispy move it indirect

I would not have thought to wrap in bacon. But bacon does make everything better.

Thanks!

Inject with apple juice, grill, turning often, pull it off at 135, rest, slice on diagonal, good stuff!!

Yep, this ..... ^^^^^^

I just cooked my first one to about the same temps. It was fantastic! Smoked with cherry. One thing I wished I had done was injected it. Out side was GREAT! The middle was a plain jane porkchop.

I do them pretty often. I just put on a rub and grill till they are just done, like 145. I usually use the poke test, not the thermometer. If the center is a tiny but pink then it is perfect. They are easy to overcook and then they get dry. You don't have to overcook pork!

Ron L: "It's a quick cook. I typically grill them to 135 internal and then rest. The carry over will bring it up to 140."

Right on!

This will cook MUCH faster than what you'd expect. Remember pink does NOT always mean undercooked. And overcooked tenderloin is unpleasantly chewy.

Back