WOOD CHIPS

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I just cut up a ton of maple and have a huge pile of maple wood chips as a result of using a very sharp chain saw. When I first started smoking in my Luhrs-Jensen electric I used store bought wood chips for flavor that were of like size. Have any of you used waste chips from the chain saw before?

I use the oak chips from my trimming occassionally to smoke up my ECB. Works fine.

I would think that chainsaw trimmings might be oily. maybe not.

parrothead said:
I would think that chainsaw trimmings might be oily. maybe not.

Your supposed to rub the oil off onto your meat, then use the chips.

Seriously though, I think the chips would be fine since the wood you are cutting does not end up oily.

Neil,

There is a reason to be concerned about the oil that will be mixed with the saw dust. If you used a high quality oil from say Sthil then it is vegetable based and not a big deal, however the stuff I buy at Lowe’s next to the expensive stuff is “reclassed motor oil” which means that they run it through a filter add additional oil and sell it as chain oil, it works great as a lube but I do not recommend smoking with it. Remember the chips are falling out of the area that the oil collects near the clutch.

Trout

Thanks Trout_man. Those chips will be going in the trash.

That's what I use to start my fires with.

Good for mulch?

It will be if you keep away from plant that you want to keep for two or three years. As wood decomposes it robs the soil of nutrients to feed the organism that break down the wood which also robs the plants of any chance of growing.

Trout

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but that's news to me. Can you point me in the right direction towards further information?

Back