LOW Budget help and Ideas Please

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My business has been grown on high quality + high value = Good Profit. I have a dilema. A very good customer of mine is on financially challenging times like most of us and wants me to cater an event. If you were being asked to cook food to be given away at an open house for 1000 people, what would your lowest cost / high profit suggestions be?

It will be handed out to patrons, so think cheap, but appealling.

Jury is out on if I take the job yet.

A local pork producer's group serves pork loin burgers at area events. They taste great, and the price of pork loin is very low here at this time. The loin is lean and takes some seasoning to make it jump out at you flavorwise.

I just introduced sliced pork loin sammies and their a hit!
Serves nicer than pulled pork. Looks fancier on a nice roll.
Whole pork loins (8 to 10 lbs) come 6 in a case for $1.29/lb.
Minimal shrinkage and fast, easy cooking! :cool:

We did a small gathering and bacon sliders were served and were a big hit. Just served with salsa, cole slaw or mustard as garnishes, huge hit. Bacon and chuck ground up together.

Chicken leg and thigh quarters are very cheap. Sandwiches require bread and condiments and labor to put together. Frozen leg and thigh quarters are often on sale for 49 cents per pound and come in 10 pound bags. Each bag usually has 10 pieces----so your meat per serving is 49 cents. Beans made from scratch are very inexpensive and bagged salad is cheap. You can buy Chinet "three compartment" plates, plastic ware, chicken leg and thigh quarters, beans, ranch dressing and salad at a cost of less than $1.00 per plate. People always think of sandwiches when they are on a budget---but a chicken dinner is often less expensive, and does not have a "cheap" look to it.

Lots of cheap eats out there, But I still read that line about A very good customer of mine and think that mabey you owe him one? Its a tough call.

I had one similar ended up giving them their almost normal menu at a reduced price and donated the left overs to the local food bank and wrote it off so you get a Little on the back end of the year.Tough one.

Pork loin is CHEAP around here right now. A cooked pound of loin is cheaper than a cooked pound of Boston Butt. Figure $2.00 for Boston Butt and $1.50 for Loin when you factor in shrinkage.

So, it's gonna be a finger food thing. Marinated pork satay (pork loin on a stick) and 1/3# pork burgers on a bun. My neighbor the hog farmer will sell me hogs at market (let's call it $1 a pound dressed and boned). The local processor will make me 1/3# whole hog pork burgers for $.40 a pound. I'm now at $1.40 a pound, or, $.60 a sandwich after bun and sauce and pickle / onion.

GP on the job should be about 100%.

If it were me... I would go for maintaining the customer, and run at little to zero profit, on the condition of furure bookings. As long as your costs are covered, the value of keeping a very good (repeat) customer outweigh the minimal loss of income... But 1000 heads is a lot...

So, it went well. Attendance was off due to cold weather. Fed just shy of 700 for the day. They have some leftovers!! Whole Hog Porkburgers were a big hit!!

Attachments

• Doc's1008.jpg
    Doc's1008.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 119
It was a great change of pace. People are fun to deal with when your giving them food that the dealer paid for. Although, we did have a couple people want something else and sorta complain. So, with a smile you tell them sorry, but the price was right, free!

Lotsa folks had no clue what a pork burger was. They know now. Whole Hog ground and pattied, 1/3#, dusted with Plowboys and cooked in the FEC-500 till 160 internal. Reheated on the old pit in a mixture of apple juice and Sweet Baby Rays. Served with pickles, onions and tomatoes.

Pork burgers ended up being $.94 each, including buns.

It was a great change of pace. People are fun to deal with when your giving them food that the dealer paid for. Although, we did have a couple people want something else and sorta complain. So, with a smile you tell them sorry, but the price was right, free!

Lotsa folks had no clue what a pork burger was. They know now. Whole Hog ground and pattied, 1/3#, dusted with Plowboys and cooked in the FEC-500 till 160 internal. Reheated on the old pit in a mixture of apple juice and Sweet Baby Rays. Served with pickles, onions and tomatoes.

Pork burgers ended up being $.94 each, including buns.

It is amazing that some people will even complain about free food.

Whole Hog ground and pattied, 1/3#, dusted with Plowboys and cooked in the FEC-500 till 160 internal. Reheated on the old pit in a mixture of apple juice and Sweet Baby Rays...

Sort of McRib style?:cool:

I've made pork burgers, but never sauced. Might have to try it.

So, it went well. Attendance was off due to cold weather. Fed just shy of 700 for the day. They have some leftovers!! Whole Hog Porkburgers were a big hit!!

Dude...I drove by that this weekend and wondered what the huge crowd was about!!!

Looked packed. Awesome.

Back