Building a trailer smoker!

Duckboats

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm in the beginning stages of planning my smoker trailer. I have the opportunity to get a 7'x30" water tank for a very very cheap price. My question is for anyone who has used the Feldon's pit calculator.
Just curious if anyone deviated from the numbers they got and went smaller or bigger or changed any dimensions. Right now it's putting me at a 6" exhaust 48" long. I'm not sure that would be practical at this point, but I'm not close to that stage, yet.

Any suggestions let me know. Thanks brothers!

We used Feldon's pit calculator. We made the opening between the box & tank a few SQ inches larger & the air vent are a little bigger for more air. Our offset smoker works great. I wouldn't go smaller. You want a clean burning fire to cook with when using wood.

I use Feldon also, but usually try to hit 110%-120% of the numbers I get. If you don't want a 48 inch stack, try running the calculator with an 8 inch or double side-by-side 6 inch stacks.

OOOHHHHHH......Dual 6" stacks......FARKING sweet idea!! I'm definitely going to use that idea.

Just Settled the deal on my 500? gallon water tank. $200. Will pick it up tomorrow or Friday and post some pictures to start my trailer thread. Any helpful suggestions would be great right now.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I like the twin stack idea. 500 gallons will be a monster. I don't ever cook that much to have one yhat big. My 120 gallon is just the right size for my home party use. We've had 22 racks of BB ribs on it at one time.

I used that calculator on mine, it is nowhere as big as you are building but it works great. It`s an ugly bugger but makes some killer Q.

I'm thinking the guy's measurements are off...I'm thinking this tank may be a 250 gallon beast. Perfect. Regardless I'm building it anyway.

Lionhrt, how efficient is the fuel use?

I also used that calculator, the only thing I changed was going with a taller stack, thinking if it did not work it would be easy to whack off a few inches, glad I did, BTW, the longer stack is definitely giving more draft.

05-31-2012-spring-youth-fair-BBQ-040-1024x768.jpg

That is exactly what I'm shooting for Columbia. Do you have any build pictures of your smoker?

NO, I do not, wish we have taken pictures along the way, I still have some notes and most of the material lists and drawings that we could photo-copy for you and then mail them.

Here she is. She measures 84" in length and 30" diameter. She's a little rough, but the price was right and my buddy is a master fabricator! Need to break out the the chalk line and torch!! Weighs in at 598 lbs.
IMG_2380.jpg

Back