First pork butt in the books.. advice needed

Midnight Goat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Fired up the ole el cheapo brinkmann for my first long cook. Smoker was fantastic and barely needed tending. This was my biggest concern since this is my third cook on it but it really was fantastic. Now onto the pulled pork.

I rubbed some yellow mustard on it and applied my rub and let it sit overnight. Put it on about 6:30am and it chugged along in the area of 210-230 most of the time on the lower end. about 1:30 it hit the stall for about 2 hours. Finally powered through but took a very long time to get up to 195 internal. Had to throw about a fistful of lump in the smoker that last hour or two which is not bad at all. Probably could have added it in the beginning and would have been fine but im still learning how this thing does on a long cook. it reached 195 between 6:30 and 7pm and then I let it rest until 8 when my wife got home from work. The results were very good but I was a little disappointed. I guess I was expecting crock pot tenderness with the bark and smoke flavor from the smoker. Some parts were very tender but other parts were a little dry. I can't tell if I'm just being overly critical of myself but I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Excuse the junky counter top, I was also watching my 2 month old while the ole lady was at work haha.

Attachments

• IMAG1483.jpg
    IMAG1483.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMAG1484.jpg
    IMAG1484.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 192
  • IMAG1485.jpg
    IMAG1485.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 194
  • IMAG1486.jpg
    IMAG1486.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 197
  • IMAG1487.jpg
    IMAG1487.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Two things come to mind from your description.....

Did you wrap for the rest?
That can possibly have an effect on parts being dry....

And, were some parts of it a little tough to pull apart?
That Might be an indicator of not quite all the way done.....

Just some thoughts, but it does look pretty dang good from way over here !!!!

Two things come to mind from your description.....

Did you wrap for the rest?
That can possibly have an effect on parts being dry....

And, were some parts of it a little tough to pull apart?
That Might be an indicator of not quite all the way done.....

Just some thoughts, but it does look pretty dang good from way over here !!!!

I did not wrap it until I pulled it off the smoker. A lot of advice I read said to leave that part out for your first try so you don't need the crutch.

Hmm they were a little tough to pull apart but they seemed to be towards the ends which I would have thought would be done before the middle. The bark also looked pretty crispy to me so I hadn't given it a thought that it may have needed more time. It did seem to rise in temp a lot quicker that last hour and a half maybe the whole thing wasn't up to 195 internal?

Yeah, that's what I meant about wrapping....during the resting....it seems to level out the moisture thru the piece a little better doing that.....others may have different experience, but it's worked well for me....

Might help a bit with the extremities staying moist too.......

Try just going by the bone pulling out clean......nothing attached.....that signals that the meat's given up all it's "holding power" & is completely thru to pullable stage......

Still sticking just a little:

Pork7-27-2014085.jpg

Done:

Jan29Danaedad067.jpg

see the bone up in back.....

Jan29Danaedad071.jpg

I really hate that wrapping is called a "crutch", it's just a tool like using a water pan or applying a slather before your rub.

It looks like it came out good. Don't be too harsh on yourself. I agree about the bone,.. that thing needs to be able to be pulled right out of there (easily) to signal "done". I'll also throw out the fact that I always wrap my butts once I have a nice color on them. To wrap or not to wrap during the smoke is totally up to the cook, but I just always have, and never had a dry or tough butt. :flame:

Yeah, that's what I meant about wrapping....during the resting....it seems to level out the moisture thru the piece a little better doing that.....others may have different experience, but it's worked well for me....

Might help a bit with the extremities staying moist too.......

Try just going by the bone pulling out clean......nothing attached.....that signals that the meat's given up all it's "holding power" & is completely thru to pullable stage......

Still sticking just a little:

Pork7-27-2014085.jpg

Done:

Jan29Danaedad067.jpg

see the bone up in back.....

Jan29Danaedad071.jpg

Unfortunately the pork shoulder I was able to find was boneless so I couldnt use that as a test method :(

I really hate that wrapping is called a "crutch", it's just a tool like using a water pan or applying a slather before your rub.

No disrespect intended just going by what it's commonly called. Heck I'm not even against it in anyway just wanted to learn the basics before introducing different tricks.

It looks like it came out good. Don't be too harsh on yourself. I agree about the bone,.. that thing needs to be able to be pulled right out of there (easily) to signal "done". I'll also throw out the fact that I always wrap my butts once I have a nice color on them. To wrap or not to wrap during the smoke is totally up to the cook, but I just always have, and never had a dry or tough butt. :flame:

I might try it next time and see what happens. I guess when you put that much time into something you want it to blow your socks off. Luckily the package came with 2 butts, I guess one technically being the picnic, so after I finish the leftovers I can give it another whirl.

it reached 195 between 6:30 and 7pm and then I let it rest until 8 when my wife got home from work.

Two things in this sentence jumped out at me...

1. it reached 195 between 6:30 and 7pm - You can't reliably go by internal temperature with meats like butts, briskets, chuckies, etc. Every butt is different and one may be done at 190, but the next may not be done until it hits 205. The dry areas were most likely not done. Forget using internal temp and go by either feel or the bone wiggling freely.

2. I let it rest until 8 - I prefer at least two hours rest for butts, etc., and will typically let them rest more than that. The rest period will give the juices a chance to recirculate and will pull flavor into the butt.

What Ron said. And I understand not wanting to wrap the first time. I have had great results wrapping. Usually about 4 or so hours in, when it gets the color I like. I prefer more of a mahogany color than a black meteor. Oh, and look for bone in next time. Easier to tell when it is done, and I would think the bone adds a little flavor.

Chances are, you undercooked by a bit. for a boneless pork butt you want probe tender throughout when done. You cannot go by IT, simply not reliable. As to some parts being tender and pull apart while other parts were not, remember, there are different muscles that make up the whole butt, some may cook faster than others and "give up" sooner, that is why you want probe tender throughout.

That looks mighty fine for a first attempt tho, nice job, you'll probably nail the next one.

KC

they covered it, you can't cook by internal temperatures per say. it was tough because 195 that you pulled it off at was probably to low, I have had them go to 200 before being probe tender.

I have had great success with my pulled pork butts, smoking them at 225 for around 4 hours and then wrapping them twice too hold any juices from escaping. Throw them back in the smoker for 6 hours or so, the bone pulls right out, and the meat shreds easily and still has a nice smoky flavor. I'v been behind the power curve and needed some a little sooner, I found that I can crank up the heat to 300 and they are perfect in 3 hours after being wrapped.

As others have stated I would have likely cooked to a slightly higher IT. Also, as others have already said, you can use the "feel" of the probe going into the meat as well to get an idea of how done it is.

Judging by a couple pics it doesn't look as done as it should be for pulled pork.

Also, try wrapping around 170ish or so. I like wrapping while I cook. I think it braises the meat and adds some juiciness factor.

One other thing to mention: try and retain some juice from the foil and re-incorporate it into the pork when you pull/slice/chop it.

I am always overly critical about my BBQ as well. To me it looks like you have good bark and a nice smoke ring and internal color. Remember pork butt is a massive cut of meat with a lot of fat, ligaments, and tendons so don't be afraid to crank it out to 210 to render that all down. I know this sounds crazy and some folks call it a crutch but once I see good bark and a nice split on the fat cap I double wrap in foil, once it hits 210 I pull it, wrap it in a towel and toss it in a cooler for a while to let the juices recirculate. Always comes out phenomenal!

Back