What hardwood lump are you recommending?

talbrecht

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I am looking for a differant hardwood lump.....or maybe I am not. I have been using Stumps that I get at Costco and the top of the bag was so awsome but I am going to have to get rid of at least 1/3 of the small stuff that settles in the bag because it ruins the air flow. I use an Acorn and a UDS. What is readily available in N.Texas and you can use most of the bag or is it normal to have to get rid of half the bag because the pieces are so small they are just an airflow barrier?

I've had good luck with Royal Oak, Lazzari, and Best Of The West. There will almost always be fine pieces that you have to toss, it's just more prevalent with lump than briquettes.

Matt

I have been using Frontier Brand lump charcoal which you can get at Sam's club and Lowes. Most bags have pretty good sized chunks. Royal oak for me is hit and miss.

Lazzari is fine but remember its Mesquite. A lot of people don't like Mesquite.

I started using Carbon Del Sur from RD, I have found it excellent so far. I am on my second bag

Carbon del sur is interesting. its dirt cheap at RD, hand made in Columbia, the chunks are HUGE!. very long burning. I can tell if its the greatest Lump ever of not. all the chunks are very well carbonized, no semi-cooked pieces.

If you need small pieces to fit tightly in a basket (ala backwoods/humpreys, or gravity feeds) it may not be the best. I take a hatchet and break down the chunks even smaller.

at 8.99 and minimal shake... its a great value. No smell/smoke

I had a bag of Big Green Egg brand and it was the best, but expensive so I don't plan on buying a ton of it. Royal Oak is good, some small junk but overall good. I've had Cowboy and Full Circle and they are ok, but I both have a lot of small stuff and Cowboy makes a lot of ash compared to the others. I just bought a bag of Wicked Good but haven't tried it yet.

Wicked Good Weekend Warrior Lump is the best I've ever used but it's hard to find, so I usually pick up a bag of B&B Oak Lump. Good sized pieces and decent price (usually $14.99 for 20 lbs.):-D

Carbon del sur is interesting. its dirt cheap at RD, hand made in Columbia, the chunks are HUGE!. very long burning. I can tell if its the greatest Lump ever of not. all the chunks are very well carbonized, no semi-cooked pieces.

If you need small pieces to fit tightly in a basket (ala backwoods/humpreys, or gravity feeds) it may not be the best. I take a hatchet and break down the chunks even smaller.

at 8.99 and minimal shake... its a great value. No smell/smoke

yeah, my thoughts too. I just use it in my kettle and its fine for that

Also the bags are nice and durable. I refill them with my home made lump

I use RO and Greenwise (from my local Publix) when I use lump. The small pieces and dust at the bottom of the bag depends on how much the bags have been tossed around during shipping.
But don't throw it out!
I wrap them in foil packs, poke holes in the pack and use them as smoke bombs, usually in the gasser.

Looks like Royal Oak is has consistent use and available around here. I loved the stubbs till I go lower into the bag and it has such little pieces I really only used about 1/2 bag and then has been a pain with the smaller pieces since. Thanks everyone.

Looks like Royal Oak is has consistent use and available around here. I loved the stubbs till I go lower into the bag and it has such little pieces I really only used about 1/2 bag and then has been a pain with the smaller pieces since. Thanks everyone.

my experience with Royal Oak is about the same. And its not dense at all, burns quick and very hot

I passed by big ole cheap bags of Best of the West mesquite lump for years because I thought the mesquite flavor would be too much. I finally grabbed a bag because I couldn't pass up getting a 40# bag for $15. My concerns about the mesquite flavor were unfounded - no problem there at all.

Wicked Good is probably better, albeit hard to find here and more expensive, and B&B Oak is probably better as well, although I can't get it here anymore (you should be able to in TX), so dollar for dollar I'm gonna stick with BOW for a while. I can get it in my neighborhood and it's cheap and works just fine - for grilling - I use Trader Joe's briqs (rebadged Rancher) for verticals.

RO doesn't seem to be the same as it used to be - the last couple bags were OK but seemed to be quicker burning and more small pieces than before.

If you can get a hold of Ozark Oak, that's some good stuff right there.

Sometimes a lot of small pieces can be due to how the charcoal was handled during shipping and stocking more so than what happens in manufacturing.

gtr I agree on the Lazarri. I always have a bag of it around

the only time I smell the mesquite is when its lighting. But a lot of people find that smell objectionable and dont like it for that reason

Back