For those with a catering trailer...

cyberstrategist

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting a mobile catering trailer that will have the porch with smoker and basically be the mobile kitchen, as well. My question is...

What truck are you using to haul your trailer?

I have a 2005 Nissan Titan but am uncertain if I trust a half-ton rated truck to pull, at worse case, a 24 foot fully loaded trailer.

Thoughts?

I'm in the process of getting a mobile catering trailer that will have the porch with smoker and basically be the mobile kitchen, as well. My question is...

I have a 2005 Nissan Titan but am uncertain if I trust a half-ton rated truck to pull, at worse case, a 24 foot fully loaded trailer.

Thoughts?

I have a 24' porch trailer that I pull with a 3500 dodge. Fully loaded my trailer weighs about 9700 pounds and would not think about pulling it with a 1/2 ton truck.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't go above 7000 pounds with you Titan. The bigger problem will be the tongue weight. The cargo carrying capacity of a half ton like the Titan is around 1000 pounds (check the specs), and that includes fuel, passengers and anything in the bed of a truck. I towed a 6500 pound toy hauler with my Titan for four years and it handled well, but I wouldn't be comfortable with much more than that.

I will be towing my 20fter with an F150 for awhile before I upgrade the truck. As I outfit it, I am paying close attention to weight as I put it together so I stay between 6000-7000lbs.

Thoughts?

Aside from owning and operating a full time catering business I am also (still) a ASE Master Certified Auto Technician with 30 years experience. Hate to tell ya this but you need another truck. Will it pull it? Maybe for a bit but count on tearing up a truck if you do. I'd go 2500 (Chevy) F250 (Ford) or equivalent and install a trans cooler if it does not have one.

You could probably move it with a little S-10 Chevy but you sure as hell won't be stopping it with one. Minimum HD 2500 with at least a 6 Ltr engine, the tow package and trailer brakes. Wouldn't hurt to buy stock in a refinery to help with the added fuel cost.

I pull mine with a 1 ton dual rear wheel truck porch trailers have a little more tongue weight then normal trailers.

Aside from owning and operating a full time catering business I am also (still) a ASE Master Certified Auto Technician with 30 years experience. Hate to tell ya this but you need another truck. Will it pull it? Maybe for a bit but count on tearing up a truck if you do. I'd go 2500 (Chevy) F250 (Ford) or equivalent and install a trans cooler if it does not have one.

True,,,, oh so true!!!!

Back