IBCA chicken

G$

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Help. I don't cook half chickens ....

... and I don't have a heck of a lot of time to experiment. For IBCA I assume everybody pre trims half chickens and cook them in halves rather than cutting a cooked whole.

Any tips on pre-prep, timing and cooking half chickens? I know it is a broad question.

Well I had one Texan tell me 3 hrs at 375 and don't peak. Might want to try that at home, before taking it on the road. Make sure to put a thermo in it and keep an eye on it. It's been a while since I cooked halves, so I can't recall how long it actually took. Good Luck!!!!!!

Well I had one Texan tell me 3 hrs at 375 and don't peak. Might want to try that at home, before taking it on the road.

:eek: That will work if you want black and brwon leather. :eek:

Cooking half chickens is like cooking a spatchcock chicken. Mine on the Egg at 375 take about an hour and 15 minutes. Cut in half, they should take about an hour and maybe 5 or 10 minutes.

I have done them on the raised grid, on the regular grid, both with and without the platesetter (for indirect heat). For a comp, I would recommend indirect to prevent scorching, and I would also recommend cutting off the wing tip (if the rules let you) because it is just wasted matter anyways, and may burn a little and affect presentation score. If you want to get grill marks on the skin, I would do it for the first 15-20 minutes and then flip to the bottom side for the rest of the cook.

As far as times for low & slow temps, I have no idea where to point you.

Also, take all the above with a grain of salt, since I don't compete yet. I'm just going on my experience and what has tasted and looked best off my egg.

for IBCA don't use a lot of sauce on the chicken and don't worry to much about the skin color make sure it's done and in moist. I have seen some birds that look like they are burnt and have won after the first judge the majority of skin is gone.

for IBCA don't use a lot of sauce on the chicken and don't worry to much about the skin color make sure it's done and in moist. I have seen some birds that look like they are burnt and have won after the first judge the majority of skin is gone.

THANKS. I was particularly curious about the sampling process given the bird is still jointed, etc.

and, since you answered, any methods you care to share on your spicewine, or do you go more direct.

So your saying appearance mean's nothing in the IBCA???:confused:

Using Jumpin Jim's method will work, so will the Mike Davis method. As Jim's is public knowledge try that. Grill or smoke at 300 until it hits about 160 then into the hottub and cover then back on the grill to firm up the glaze. Glaze/sauce must be cooked onto the meat not applied after. About 1.5 hours at 300 then an hour at 200 and 30 minutes low heat in smoke to finish.

Brining is good with spice to keep the flavor in the meat.

And Bubba - appearance matters for the first round of judging. After that so many chunks are gone it's all taste and it's all on cold meat. It's very different.

Sorry Dust but there will be two halves in the box
So its visible until the end of the final table
It is a large contest

Sorry Tom but NOT all IBCA require two half's for turn in in texas it depends on the amount of teams and judging tables.

yes appearance does count but if you look a most BBQ joints in Texas the chicken is skin dark and IBCA use judges off the street i.e non certified judges.

I would like to see the rule changed so that two birds are turned in so that the appearance will be scored accordingly

THANKS. I was particularly curious about the sampling process given the bird is still jointed, etc.

and, since you answered, any methods you care to share on your spicewine, or do you go more direct.

I do them in the spice but I use a shallow aluminum pan 1.5 -2 hrs works for me

Sorry Tom but NOT all IBCA require two half's for turn in in texas it depends on the amount of teams and judging tables.

yes appearance does count but if you look a most BBQ joints in Texas the chicken is skin dark and IBCA use judges off the street i.e non certified judges.

I would like to see the rule changed so that two birds are turned in so that the appearance will be scored accordingly

Sorry Dust LOL But that is why I said it is a large contest :)
Yes two at all multiple round contests would be great

Sorry Dust but there will be two halves in the box
So its visible until the end of the final table
It is a large contest

I was wondering that. What is the cut off? 50? We have about 50 right now?

Tom I am curious only 50 teams and they have to turn in 2 halves ??

According to the IBCA Rules ....

*If an event has 60+ teams, it is recommended that two (2) 1/2 chickens be submitted for judging and that the brisket and pork spare rib quantities will be adjusted according.

I must admit while apperance is in the IBCA Rules as well as Texas Gulf Coast Rules, it really has no significant meaning. Unlike KCBS the only view a judge has of a complete half is the first judge that opens that tray. I have seen to many of those "1st" judges that dont like skin, just peel it back and push it out of the way. By the time it gets to the 3rd or 4th judge it can be pretty well mutilated.

In "MY" opinion apperance should taken out, reworded or something. Or just get the rules changed that require every cook to turn in 2 halves no matter what size the cook. I have not met a cook yet that cooks IBCA or Texas Gulf Coast that buys and cooks only 1/2 a chicken. 9 times out of 10 I turn in 1 half and the other goes in the garbage. Why not let me turn both in, and have the judges instructed to leave one 1/2 alone. Then maybe apperance would start to make a difference.

Just my .02 worth ......

Back