smothered pheasant and grits.....

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
so, a friend of my dad's goes to south dakota every year on a pheasant hunt an this year, he gave me a few of the birds. I never cooked pheasant before, so I decided to just smother them with gravy with very little seasoning and serve them with grits and a salad.

I soaked the birds in milk for just a bit and floured them and seared them in a pan before transferring them over to a dutch oven and making a gravy to smother them in. I cubed up a little benton's bacon to get some fat to brown the birds and then I made the gravy with the leftover drippings and flour mixed with beef stock. i added in some portobello mushrooms and some rosemary and into the oven at 250 for about an hour or so. the grits were from anson mills. i can never get enough of those. the leftover cold grits will be sliced and fried and served with honey or syrup for a breakfast dinner this week.

i didn't get a bunch of pics, but here it goes......

thanks for looking!

Good work! With some techniques to help their "leanness" like you did, there are few things better than properly cooked pheasant or ruffed grouse in this humble hunter's opinion.

When I get a good amount of pheasant legs I like to put them in a shallow pan with a seasoned chicken broth/butter mixture. Just enough liquid to submerge 1/2 the leg or so. I then give the legs a kiss of applewood smoke indirect on the kettle while basting with the liquid every 15 minutes and flipping the legs in the liquid for about 1 hour. I then take the legs and simmer in a soup pot with carrot, celery, and onion until the meat is falling off the bone. I save the broth, debone the pheasant legs, and discard the bones and veggies. Then I assemble the soup with fresh onion, celery and carrot and add nice thick egg noodles and cook until tender. Smoked pheasant noodle soup!

Probably just the picture but it looks like there's a piece of lead shot still in that bird in the milk soaking picture :bounce:

Back