Crab boil brine

Bigdawg580

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever made a crab boil brine for a turkey ?
Thinking about trying it out, hope i don't mess up.
Planning on 1/4 cup liquid crab boil, Cayenne pepper, peppercorn, salt, garlic clove & some of my home made rub.
Planning on smoking the turkey witk peach wood.

Sounds pretty tasty.

PatioDaddio's brine uses a fair amount of Old Bay (not the same stuff, but along the same direction). I'm a big fan.

Hope yours goes well. Let us know your results, if you'd be so kind.

Just do a taste test on the brine. That will be one kicked-up Cajun bird. Sounds great.

Thinkin' you might be all right with that gig. Curious how it turns out! What's in your rub, or is that a secret?

Brother 580, be cautious if you have the "concentrated" liquid crab boil. Living on the coast I use it on a real regular basis for seafood. With that said, I can tell you that a little goes a very long way. My only suggestion is when making your brine is to add a little crab boil at a time and sample the brine by tasting it. This way you do not get it to potent. For reference, 1 full tablespoon of concentrated liquid crab boil added the 1 gallon of water will make red beans inedible to all but the very toughest.

Yes i definitely will taste it. I have done my fair share of crawfish boils. We Louisiana boys have to have our mud mugs

I use 1/4 cup in my turkey brine;
2 Gal Water
2 Cups Morton’s Kosher Salt
3 Cups Sugar
1/4 Cup Zatarains Liquid Crab Boil
4 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Dried Rosemary
1 TBS Thyme
1/4 Cup Molasses
1/4 Cup White Wine (not Cooking Wine)
1/4 Cup Worcestershire

Thanks Punchy, that's sounds pretty good. I may use that or part of to come up with my on recipe.

Made a test run using a chicken to check my brine. Man that was a home run. Had the flavor i was after, pretty close to Punchy recipe. Except i add 1 tbs of Cayenne pepper and didn't use the white wine. Had just the right amount of heat to it. Hope my turkey comes out just as good as the chicken did. Definitely will be doing this again.

Turkey came out real good, just not where I want it.
Next time i will double the crab boil & add a little more Cayenne pepper. Just didn' penetrate with flavor as much as i would have liked it to.

I've haven't brined a turkey yet, but have used Zatarain's crab boil for chicken and especially beef roasts.
I highly recommend it.

Back