Decided on pastrami this week.

Jsgcc

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I decided to play around with a pastrami this last week.

I took a 5lb brisket and corned it in a brine for 3 days, rinsed it off and realized I didn't trim it very well :-[ A little fat never hurt though right... So I toasted some coriander, peppercorns and grinded them anyway, then rubbed it on my newly corned beef brisket!

Then I smoked it with applewood at 200 until it hit about 150 IT. Took about 3 1/2 hours.Then pulled it and bumped the temp to 275, put it on a roasting pan with some water and wrapped it. From there it took about another solid 3-4 hours.

It came out pretty good I would say, pretty juicy. I would say it was a little tough still though. I am thinking after I refrigerate and splice it on the slicer real thin it will be pretty amazing. I cut a pretty thick slice to try...I don't know what do you think?

I decided I am coming by your house for a sandwich or 3.

Looks great I keep telling myself I need to try this one day.

Nice. I just put my brisket in the brine on Sunday. But I typically let mine brine for 10 days, or even longer.

But yours looks like the brine got through it plenty good. Looks real good.

I always slice mine real thin for sandwiches like you said. The thicker ones can get tough unless you cook longer like a true brisket.

Looks a little dense, but if you slice thin should be good. Color looks good. Unfortunately, if you throw it on a deli slicer that nice crust you got is going to go everywhere.... i know....good gawd, do I know... use your knife skills and don't do the slicer. That crust will go everywhere.

Looks great!

Maybe throw it in a pressure cooker if you have one. Bring it up to pressure and shut it off, then wait until there is no more pressure - about 7 minutes. That will melt even more collagen, and be delicious. Or you can steam it for a bit, or sous vide it. Same idea.

Now when you make those reubens, don't forget fresh sauerkraut, good swiss cheese, good toasted rye bread, and some kind of halfway decent "russian dressing", preferably with a bit of heat!

Looks good and like pastrami to me.

I've cooked them before and they tasted good, but I need a better meat slicer to get thinner cuts.

Anyone feel like parting with a Hobart? :mrgreen:

Back