I don't know what I'm doing...500 Gallon Smoker Build

Bwick84

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Me and a buddy decided to build a smoker out of a 500 gallon propane tank because why not? I've been really getting into smoking the last few years and want something with a little more room.

I started with a cheap electric but never really cared for it (no picture) and have also used a Weber Kettle.

Then got a Traeger and liked the convenience but lacked the flavor I was looking for

ICtK187h.jpg

Then got my offset and absolutely love it I just run out of room for the amount of meat I want to cook.

r5fSuwOh.jpg

So when my buddy asked me to smoke a pig for his birthday we of course built a cinderblock pit.

xCL4b3fh.jpg

After that we got the itch to build our own. Neither of us have much fabricating experience. I haven't welded since high school shop class and he has never welded. Should be fun.

We went to a propane dealer and purchased an old 500 gallon tank. We filled it up a couple times with soapy water and then started cutting out the doors.

BRc4YG0h.jpg

No smoking by the tank.

ouNFfWNh.jpg

what's the worse that could happen? after cutting the doors i would have to hand it off to someone to finish. :becky: at least you guys have a chance to make a decent cooker. looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Subscribed, be happy to help where I can. Based on your thread title, I thought this might help http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html. You can also use the search tool to look a several 500 gallon builds documented on here. Best of luck.

Yeah, I have been looking at that. I'm still trying to figure out my options for a firebox. I'm trying to build this on the cheap and so far all my options put the firebox too small. I wouldn't mind building one but the first steel supplier I checked with wants $375 for a 4x10 sheet of 1/4". That gets spendy real quick especially if I decide to insulate it.

Yeah, I have been looking at that. I'm still trying to figure out my options for a firebox. I'm trying to build this on the cheap and so far all my options put the firebox too small. I wouldn't mind building one but the first steel supplier I checked with wants $375 for a 4x10 sheet of 1/4". That gets spendy real quick especially if I decide to insulate it.

That isn't a great price for retail plate, but it isn't a ripoff either. Call around though, you might find someone who is willing to sell it at the more wholesale prices which is around 1/2 of that price.

what's the worse that could happen? after cutting the doors i would have to hand it off to someone to finish. :becky: at least you guys have a chance to make a decent cooker. looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

My buddy I'm building it with has a pretty extensive woodworking background and I've always been pretty good with my hands and a quick learner. My daily driver is an old CJ5 that I've had to maintain. Just no making fun of our welds!

ToPwcXSh.jpg

That isn't a great price for retail plate, but it isn't a ripoff either. Call around though, you might find someone who is willing to sell it at the more wholesale prices which is around 1/2 of that price.

Yeah I'll keep checking. We have some recycling centers but not sure about any good scrap yards. Thanks for the info.

Awesome man, I'll keep an eye on this one as I'm doing my 40 gal build.

What was the offset you pictured above?

Awesome man, I'll keep an eye on this one as I'm doing my 40 gal build.

What was the offset you pictured above?

It's just a cheap Oklahoma Joe Highland. It's maybe 1/8" steel at best. However I sealed up all the gaps with high temp silicone and it holds heat pretty dang well. Might not be the best but it's put out some really good Q.

My buddy I'm building it with has a pretty extensive woodworking background and I've always been pretty good with my hands and a quick learner. My daily driver is an old CJ5 that I've had to maintain. Just no making fun of our welds!

ToPwcXSh.jpg

Nice CJ ! I had a CJ5 Renegade with a V8 three speed manual. Too much fun I had to get rid of it.

ToPwcXSh.jpg

Man, I miss my 86 CJ-7 Laredo....:biggrin1:

Yeah I'll keep checking. We have some recycling centers but not sure about any good scrap yards. Thanks for the info.

I was cleaning out my Mom's basement and took a few things to the scrap yard today. One thing caught my eye was a huge pile of dumpsters. There was a variety of sizes and conditions, but many of them had 2-4 sides with relatively straight steel. I was in a hurry so didn't ask them, but I want to go back and see what they would sell one for. There is enough straight steel in most of them to build a pretty good firebox, BUT is that steel thick enough?

JBP

I was cleaning out my Mom's basement and took a few things to the scrap yard today. One thing caught my eye was a huge pile of dumpsters. There was a variety of sizes and conditions, but many of them had 2-4 sides with relatively straight steel. I was in a hurry so didn't ask them, but I want to go back and see what they would sell one for. There is enough straight steel in most of them to build a pretty good firebox, BUT is that steel thick enough?

JBP

That would be interesting. I've got a caliper that I could measure the thickness with. I just need to find a scrap yard close by. I've only been able to find recycling centers (which won't let me go through their yard) and auto scrap yards. I'll keep looking.

Nice CJ!
Are you going RF or direct cross flow?

I haven't decided for sure yet. I've never used a reverse flow, but I know they are popular. It probably depends on what I end up doing for a firebox. If I end up a little undersized I'll probably just stick with direct flow.

Back