Something a little different from Shirley. in process

Tyler can fix anything...glad everyone is ok. everyone on this sight just had the hair on the back of their necks stand up.

Holy crap! Glad y'all are ok. More glad all the cars around you were ok. I'm sure the smoker was fine, those things will survive a nuclear holocaust. Sorry you had such a scare, I'm sure Tyler has it looking good as new.

Real scary stuff grim, can see and really do feel your pain. Hope Tyler gets you taken care of.

It was terrifying. 9 months of obsessing to just see it in your rearview 30 hours after picking it up as it crashes into a side wall.

I 10 heading into New Orleans at any other time of day would have caused a massive wreck. My guardian angel was watching my back big time. If it had happened just a few minutes earlier the smoker probably would have been totaled off into the woods. I'm still in shock at how little damage was actually done to the cooker.

Tyler is awesome, it will be better than new. I even am getting a couple lagniappes. Some extra stainless and minor adjustments. This experience just further solidifies my choice to go Shirley. This could have happened with any manufacturer. But not every company will stand up and drop what they are doing to fix a problem. Take you dinner, treat you like family and throw in some extras.

Holy Cow Grim! I'm soooo glad everyone is safe. I saw some similar a number of years ago where his draw bar pulled out from his truck due to the pin falling out. His once beautiful (he showed me pics), was completely totaled. Ever since then I use the locking style pins in everything I pull - EVERY TIME. Also glad to hear about how well you are being taken care of. That helps re-affirm my decision to go with Shirley. Safe travels home.

Well. I'm bored. Chilling in a parking lot again waiting on that call... In the meantime here are some more pics I took before "The Incident"

Grates ended up at 23.5 x 54" and 4 pans fit perfectly. I have 5.5 inches of clearance on the bottom 3 racks and about 3.5" on the top rack, and I have 2 hangers mounted in the main chamber

5D9402C0-3A53-46E6-B8E0-87E452CDA840_zpsqxczp5n7.jpg

41A27AB5-5167-4CD5-AB03-E70C88B636F8_zpshiumkbw6.jpg

Here is the hanger. I have two in the main and 2 in the vertical!

0E34693C-0169-41B9-B647-3F9BC42D8638_zpsrjpym772.jpg

The vertical is 4 20x20 racks, but 7 rack locations. 2 hanger rods welded at the top. In the insulated firebox is a searing rack that is about 18.5x18.5

55ED02AC-F149-43D2-A8C0-679174E18F9A_zpsa1tabkxd.jpg

D72592B0-CDCD-40A5-BEBC-82E305CFCDD6_zps9pcvm7yh.jpg

901BCA39-E786-4EAA-915D-58C2C33580EE_zpsodn3vwrb.jpg

52AF5E76-62C7-4BB6-8915-8A12F266A326_zpsgqr9lcxu.jpg

The smoker is offset to leave room to slide in 2 6' tables.

9A3FDCD1-F0AE-4B0A-A09D-96BB70EB80F4_zpsdv20accf.jpg

The back of the cooker has the wood rack, my Camp Chef Expedition 3x and the deep fryer. The black box holds the battery and battery charger that run the LED lights and the water pump.

8F509031-4F9C-4D5C-92A8-4913BE4F00EB_zpsyx71q3mt.jpg

C5D63FAD-E7E4-4A43-82FE-2B490482A8D0_zpsln6srsd5.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Grim. I can't remember if you went with a 24 or a 30"? Also, what was your length again? Now you've got me seriously considering going with four shelves instead of three in the cook chamber. Also might aff the hanging rods there too now. I'm already getting them in the warmer.

Nice Grim. I can't remember if you went with a 24 or a 30"? Also, what was your length again? Now you've got me seriously considering going with four shelves instead of three in the cook chamber. Also might aff the hanging rods there too now. I'm already getting them in the warmer.

24x65. I'm looking forward to playing with all the hanging space. And with the "ash pan" in the firebox, I have 2 charcoal pans. The one in the vert is nearly identical to the ash pan. So I can take the ash pan and do some direct cooking in the main chamber too.

This cooker is so flexible. It's going to take years to master it.

I am glad that you are ok! Even before I became their Webmaster, they made me feel like family. Tyler, Paul and Sharon are an amazing bunch of folks and I am glad to call them "family".

It was terrifying. 9 months of obsessing to just see it in your rearview 30 hours after picking it up as it crashes into a side wall.

I 10 heading into New Orleans at any other time of day would have caused a massive wreck. My guardian angel was watching my back big time. If it had happened just a few minutes earlier the smoker probably would have been totaled off into the woods. I'm still in shock at how little damage was actually done to the cooker.

Tyler is awesome, it will be better than new. I even am getting a couple lagniappes. Some extra stainless and minor adjustments. This experience just further solidifies my choice to go Shirley. This could have happened with any manufacturer. But not every company will stand up and drop what they are doing to fix a problem. Take you dinner, treat you like family and throw in some extras.

Turn those pans the other way and I bet you can get 5 per rack. I can get 4 in my 24x55.

That's the same size I'm getting. So I guess that settles it. 4 racks it is. I think I'll go with the 7 positions in the warmer too. I really like that idea. These, options are now going to push me over my budgeted amount. But the I think the rules say that we can 'adjust' our budget once, right?!?!?!?

That's the same size I'm getting. So I guess that settles it. 4 racks it is. I think I'll go with the 7 positions in the warmer too. I really like that idea. These, options are now going to push me over my budgeted amount. But the I think the rules say that we can 'adjust' our budget once, right?!?!?!?
I went 1600 over the budget I told my wife I was going to spend.glad I worked a bunch of overtime.lol.

I went 1600 over the budget I told my wife I was going to spend.glad I worked a bunch of overtime.lol.

I think my first conversation with Paul I said keep it under $2k. Pffft...that went out the window quickly.

so grim, what was the verdict of the carnage/damage?

update?

Ohh goodness. I thought I had updated this.

Tyler did an amazing job putting me back together. He put a new axle in, redid both propane burners, all the propane lines, repainted the front and added a 2nd trailer pin and safety chain. He put 14 hours of work into my cooker to make it better than new. It's really amazing how well it all worked out and how wonderful Tyler was about making it back perfect in time for my big cook Tuesday.

I have 2 locking pins on now.

4BEF0B53-3573-4C28-9895-44956F019747_zpsne6ypfrl.jpg

And a safety chain

C7CC33A4-7793-4AA9-BD55-530B5783238B_zpskcmimlnr.jpg

He put a couple sweet looking plates on the front corners to protect and cover up the only dent from the wreck.

487234FF-D0A2-4E34-96C6-840B4D611656_zpslg3ojpmq.jpg

IN addition he added some extra stainless to the rig for me!! The back door and the top are new. He also fabricated a new top for the camp chef stove that is flush mounted in there since I lost the original in the wreck.

CE015E07-7200-4512-BED8-E1B587DA666E_zpstgbxlyzp.jpg

It honestly looks better than new. I've started working on the lights today and should have the top lights done tomorrow. By the end of next week I'll have all the plumbing and lighting done and there will be nothing left to do but keep her clean and use her!

Knocked out my first cook... about 300lbs of meat total! http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225135

Back