Meat prices in your area.

Obviously quality and taste is something you do not understand. I can never risk quality for few dollars. Unlike you, I will not dwell if the pound of brisket is $3.35 vs $3.75. Dry aging is a must in our business so I do not need your comments about wet aging and dry aging. Another trick we use in the beef business is the word “manager special” which is nothing but cheap meat that is a must to go. Do not preach us about the sell by date. We can freeze the meat. We can send it to processors, but we will never do that because we know that the quality stinks. That’s why YOU buy the creekstone brisket frozen as a rock and it takes you 2-3 days to thaw

Well Sir if you sell grey burgers and expired produce thinking it is fine and saves money, you should know that on one day this will hurt you, and it will be very bad both to your wallet and to your reputation. Health inspectors were created for poor dirty joints like your taste. For someone that does not know anything about me this is just about the most asinine thing I have ever read leveled at me Oh what the heck have another drink.
[/QUOT

Sorry if I gave you the impresion I was in the business of retail I am not. Of course I would not sell grey meat, or expired dates if I were, none of what I buy for myself is like that either, and it is not for resale. If you are in that business I guess I understand where you are coming from, but I did not get that out of what you posted.

Sir I live on a budget after raising 5 kid on a minimum wage forcing me to look for bargains, I am one of the shrewdest shoppers you will probably ever know. I know a good buy when I see one. The quality of my food has never suffered because of it, also have never ever bought a frozen brisket and don't think I have ever seen one unless I froze it after it was bought. By the way I have worked in many very fine restaurants, I have been called a chief but think of myself as a down home cook. In some of these restaurants we dry aged and cut a lot of our beef steaks, mostly from whole steaks, beef tenderloin, also hung to dry age whole beef clods or steamship rounds, so I do know a little about aging.

I know good quality but I also know the value of a dollar, so even if I had the money to buy something like a wagyu brisket I couldn't bring myself to pay that kind of money and sit still to eat it. I am a believer in the theory there is no such thing as a bad piece of meat, only bad cooks. After all is that not how things like brisket, butts and ribs came about, with good cooks taking bad meat and making something wonderful, a Butcher told that to me once.

I guess I look at food a great deal differently than you, mostly due to my lifestyle and financial circumstance, even though today the kids are out of the house and I can afford the very best of anything I desire I don't, my money came hard to me so I have an equally hard time squandering it if I don't have to. You Sir must not be as challenged, so good on you.
Dave

Sorry, I did not mean anything. It is great that you look for a bargain. Most of our beef come from your area (Midwest). But unfortunately that's NOT the case here in NY city. We once called Fresh direct because of stuff that were more like a vomit. We are also challenged financially although in different way. I once had a customer that parties every day and her pictures are featured every day on new York magazines, she lives in a house worth 34 millions and insists in buying wholesale price form our inventory. Imagine what will happen to us in NY city shall we say NO to the entitled. The risk far exceeds the 1$ difference in the price of a pound of shrimp. Sorry again

Smokey, I can't tell you how long its been since we have had an honest to goodness steak.
A .40 cents difference in price would not send me into a tizzy, but a 30.00 dollar difference in price for a brisket does. One reason I don't frequent Q-talk these days is bbqing does not appeal to us as much because of price of meat same goes for why I do not enter competitions anymore, it just cost way to much, I consider it more of a rich man's game I still love to bbq just not so much as I used to, and now that it is just the two of us we can not eat even a 10 lb brisket like we used to, and I hate to freeze it. These days I cook smaller pieces of meat that may cost more per pound like a Tri-Tip or chuck roast for those very reason.

Regarding your cheap well to do, that insist on buying wholesale, you may have been able to utilize her business a little more efficiently for the both of you. I would never sold it wholesale there would have always been some markup no matter how small,. It sounds like you let her get away with it and she naturally took advantage of a weakness, so would anyone else if allowed to do so. It would be another matter if she were buying for charity fundraiser. Our with a little markup she spread the word of how good your meat was and at reasonable prices with a discount if they mentioned her name to you not wholesale just reasonable to them. Everytime she came in I would give her several business cards, thank her for sending business your way and give her a reasonable discount as well, learn how to use her like she was using you.

If she did not want to accommodate you then neither should you her. If she does not return, that works for you also, but never never feel like you need to give your product away because they insist. Not giving you a lecture here so please do not take offence, obviously I do not know all the circumstances with this. It does sound like you are a good sales person, and should put someone else in charge of that department., There you have my 2 cent worth remember, you get what you pay for.:becky:
Dave

This year China sheep farmers are in big lose.
Cost of China mutton is US$3.6 per lb.
But price of imported New Zealand mutton is around US$3 per lb

2vry7ev.jpg

Stopped in for a Superbowl brisket and found this.
Brisket US$1.99 per lb,
In China I pay uS$3.5 per lb at free market.
In super market/grocery it is more expensive.
Fillet is bouble priced than brisket

Just last week I saw pork butts for $0.69/lb in Pasadena. TX (a suburb of Houston.) I sez if it sounds too good to be true ...

At wegmans in malvern PA, butts were 1.29/lb and chuckies were 6.99/lb......I went with a few butts

I picked up some shoulders today for .99 lb at Brookshire Brothers

Just got back from the Twin Cities visiting my mother- a two hour drive south for me. I picked up four packer cut, Prime brisket, at $3.49 a pound at the Costco in Maplewood Minnesota.

Just got back from the Twin Cities visiting my mother- a two hour drive south for me. I picked up four packer cut, Prime brisket, at $3.49 a pound at the Costco in Maplewood Minnesota.

I went on a "Costco Date":oops: with my wife today, to the same Costco in Maplewood. Picked up a 13lb. prime full brisket for $2.99/lb. Didn't need pork butts for now, but noticed they were $1.79/lb. Flank steak was priced at $7.99/lb.!

Bone in butts $1.48/lb

Picnics regularly on sale from $0.79-$0.99

Brisket (Prime or Choice) fluctuating between $2.89/lb to 3.39/lb

Spares STL cut $2.99

Full sprares brisket bone removed $2.69

Cheaper for untrimmed spares

Baby backs $3.69/lb

Back