• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thoughts on this top-of-the line smoker?

If you're going to get one of those, I would buy one used on CL. Probably save at least $100

Buy what's in your budget and learn to cook on that cooker, that's what matters. It's a worn out line but it really is the cook not the cooker :thumb:

Eloquent reviews. Almost to eloquent.

I have one. Look up the mods for that on YouTube. I don't use mine all that often anymore but it is capable of turning out good food.

I know you said 200 is your budget. For 69 more dollars you could get the Oklahoma joe highlander. At Walmart will need a few mods but is thicker then that chargrill

I've looked at those and I wouldn't buy one, the metal is really thin, doesn't seem like a tight cooker at all. I think you can get a much better cooker for just a little more, $300 will get you a new wsm or pbc, heck you could buy 2 weber kettles and have 2 cookers that would outlast that one. I know how much love there is for stickburners, but if it were me, and I really wanted one, I'd save up to buy something in the $500+ price range, you'll get a much better cooker that could last you a long time.

They are OK, but have some issues. I had one for several years. If they haven't changed the design, there are some flaws with the firebox. It's a pull out drawer instead of a side door. This forces you to add wood from the top door, which is inefficient. Not much room under the fire grate so ash build up causes some airflow issues. Ash is also hard to remove mid cook because of the drawer design.

With a few mods, it can be a serviceable cooker, but like others I'd look towards WSM or similar smokers.

The Brinkman offset models I've seen at home depot or Lowe's seem to have some better firebox features for a cheap smoker that would have me leaning that way if I was dead set on an offset.

I've cooked a lot of good Que on those type smokers. They will work OK out of the box. There are a lot of mods posted online that really improve the performance. The mods will never make one of these a Lang or Bubba Grill or Jambo, so set your expectations within reason. You will have to spend a lot of time hands on tending the fire. That however will make you a better pitmaster because you will learn how to manage your cooker. I will also state that once I cooked on a UDS, I never even considered using my Chargriller again as a smoker. I do still use it for grilling.

Here is one review on Home Depot:

I got this for fathers day 2014. Firebox has completely rusted out on the bottom. Temp gauge quit working after a month. Thin metal lets heat escape. The air control rusted out, making it impossible to use to adjust air flow. Smoke stack continually falls off. Poor alignment of screws, parts, and seams allows smoke to poor out of various gaps. Absolute garbage!

I burnt a few tons of meat on one in 8+ yrs. Last spring I bought a Trailmaster and gifted the CG to a friend it's still turnin out Good BBQ. If you decide to get it PM me and I'll walk you through the mods to make it cook the way an off set is supposed to cook. Don't do the ones you find in net land if you want it to cook right.
DSCF0170.jpg

Here is one review on Home Depot:

I got this for fathers day 2014. Firebox has completely rusted out on the bottom. Temp gauge quit working after a month. Thin metal lets heat escape. The air control rusted out, making it impossible to use to adjust air flow. Smoke stack continually falls off. Poor alignment of screws, parts, and seams allows smoke to poor out of various gaps. Absolute garbage!
If you clean the fire box after a cook it wont rust out.
Rusted out air control Clean out the fire box
Stack falling off and poor alignment> sound like the guy don't own tools or know how to use them
Smoke leaking out > easy fix
like all entry level pits the thermos are crap and in the wrong place> Common sense you aint gonna get a tel tru's at that price or 1/4" construction.

Last edited:
I burnt a few tons of meat on one in 8+ yrs. Last spring I bought a Trailmaster and gifted the CG to a friend it's still turnin out Good BBQ. If you decide to get it PM me and I'll walk you through the mods to make it cook the way an off set is supposed to cook. Don't do the ones you find in net land if you want it to cook right.

Thanks pal

Saw this real high-end smoker at a discount and wanted to see what you guys thought!...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gri...ill-Horizontal-Smoker-in-Black-1624/206282463

...OK so it's a cheap deal from Home Depot but it's in my current budget, anyone ever had one? Is it decent?

Aaron Franklin cut his teeth on a smoker of basically equal quality. I'd say he learned to cook pretty well.

Cooking on a thin small smoker is an uphill battle, but if you can master it, you will be an instant master at a thicker more solid pit.

If you want an offset and its in your budget go for it. People have made amazing bbq on much less. I would also say you should watch craigslist for a month or two and see if something comes by of better quality for the same price. Sometimes its worth it. Good luck!

Smokers

Hi, I'm looking to step up and buy a good wood smoker. I have some ideas but I would like to hear what more experienced cookers have to say. Any help is appreciated.

Hi, I'm looking to step up and buy a good wood smoker. I have some ideas but I would like to hear what more experienced cookers have to say. Any help is appreciated.

I would start your own thread and not hijack this one. There will be lots of help and opinions, good luck on your search.

I think the UDS route is better for the money. Less headache and easier to do long cooks. A dialed in UDS is going to keep temp for a long time. One of those leaky cheap offsets is going to be a struggle all night long.

Back