Low n slow all nighter

Phat Boy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Picked up a 14 lb prime brisket from HEB yesterday. Even had my 3 year old son help me pick it out. Bout to baby sit this thing and warm it to death n hopefully have it around lunchtime tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 447
Since you are "looking for wood to cook with" and you live in Richmond, Tx, just get some local pecan wood to use and it will turn out ok. Not sure why you would want to baby sit it all night, when you could turn the heat up to around 275 to 300 and have it ready in about 1/3 of the time. It will still be as good or better without the long cook times.

Of course, if you are looking for some long fire tending and some overnight fellowship with some friends, then ignore my suggestions. :biggrin1:

Omar

I remember those long nights with the stick burner. Great times!

Ahh yes, id join you!

Babysitting a stick burner can be very therapeutic

That looks like a pecos or maybe brazos , am I right?

Tell us how good that smokestack smells after about 6-8 hours once that fat starts to melt!

May that wonderful briskly get all jiggly for ya! Godspeed!Nite!

As far as lookin for wood, I have an old fella off of alt 90 by Galvan's who has good seasoned pecan wood. That's what I was raised on and nothin beats it in my book. I want to try HNF, but I've been doing low n slow on my UDS and old kingsford grill that finally crapped out. My cousin asked if I'd cook for him and about 50-60 friends for Super Bowl Sunday and since I had to trash my old pit I borrowed my dad's offset in hopes that it'll help pull everything off next Sunday. I smoked a 10 lb butt last week to try toget the hang of the fire maintenance. I dropped two digital thermometers in (one in front of the butt closest to the smoke stack and one closest to the firebox) and felt like I fought keeping the temp close to 275. Mind you the factory thermometer never peaked over 225. I didn't know if I should chalk it up to cold weather (around 50 degrees) so I tried ribs the next day. I went without the digital thermometers and solely by the factory thermometer and kept them around 275. After about 2 hours they had a good color so I wrapped them in foil and spritzed them with AJ and maintained 275 for a couple more hours. When I pulled them to rest they sat about 45 min in the oven. When finally opened I was greeted by charred ribs. The whole slab was not charred, and the edible parts were delicious, but I kinda expected it. So, now to try to hone my skills with this all night brisky.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 395
I couldn't tell you what kind of smoker it is, all I know is it came from Bucee's.

Sweet my daughter and I were just talking about making some pulled pork what kind of rub did you use?

This pic was about an hour or two prior to wrapping with foil. Wrapped at about 8 hrs once I achieved the color I wanted. 7:15 now and still chugging along around 230.

For my pork butt I use a homemade rub consisting of salt, pepper, onion powder, granulated garlic and paprika.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 336
Pulled it off around 2:00 n let it rest. Was only planning on resting about 2 hours but as the wife took an unexpected nap around 2:00 it had to rest longer. Finally sliced into this magnificent specimen at 6:15. DELICIOUS!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 184
Brisket looks good. Just a word on the instlled therm, it is in the middle of the door and it will read 50 deg cooler than the grate thermo so that 275was closer to 325 + on the lower grate. I never understood the manufactures logic installing a thermo to read the temp where you're not cooking.:confused:

Back