Central BBQ leaves silver shin on ribs, Do you?

I pull it off, but there are several here that leave it on. I haven't cooked ribs in a bit, but I am going to do a side by side comparison next.

Not I. I skin em every time.

We've left it on for vending sometimes if we're cooking hot & fast and we're in the weeds, we just score em perpendicular to the bones. We don't skin em afterward though.

it an excuse to be lazy is all it is.one less thing they have to do. I have eaten their many times....it is served with the membrane still on. corky's does the same thing.

If I had to cook 50 slabs a day, I may be tempted to leave it on and come up with a good reason for why I do so besides the fact that it is expensive to pay labor to spend the time and effort to remove the skin.

But, I don't cook 25 to 50 slabs a day. Just a coupe of slabs occasionally. So, I remove it and enjoy delicious ribs without a piece of leather in my mouth when I eat them.

Pj and ninja are right. I cook direct and i score up, down and sideways...and diagonal. Olive oil, then rub and cook. Never been any sign of the membrane plus the ribs are past moist and i cook nekkid.

that place is not any good anyway...

ive tried membrane on and off...i def prefer it off

Last edited:
If you want your rubs flavor to penetrate the meat, take it off and foil the ribs when the color is to your liking. If you don't foil your ribs and need to keep them moister then I can understand why some people keep the membrane on. Still, flavor does not penetrate the membrane....

I'm with Bo. I only cook ribs 2 or 3 times a month and I think it's worth the 2 extra minutes of work each time to skin my racks.

I now keep mine on. I pulled the membrane off for years thinking I was getting a lot of extra flavor and smoke. I can't remember the reason but I didn't pull the membrane on several cooks and my ribs tasted the exact same. I couldn't tell any difference in depth of smoke flavor or rub. So from then on out I've kept it on. But I also don't run a restaurant and serve the public. If the public wants it off then I suggest pull it off.

I don't think very much of Central's ribs, but I've done both and like many here, since I don't cook ribs all that often, I go ahead and take the extra couple of minutes to pull it off.

I always remove the skin.

I have been tempted to try leaving it on because a friend of mine who competes at the national level leaves the skin on. The team claims the skin disintegrates with no trace. Ordinarily I would be skeptical of such a claim, but they have won over 600 awards at sanctioned events for their ribs including; Best in the West, Hudson Valley Ribfest (6 years in a row), and has won the NJ State BBQ Championship multiple times.

I leave it on then when done crank up the egg to 450° and chargrill the skin gives another flavor profile. (Famas Dave's Method)

i used to take it off but i always hated doing it because it was annoying, so a couple years ago i tried scoring it and i liked the results and i've been doing it that way since. never had any problems getting a good smoke flavor on em

Back