• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The start of my first smoker build...60 gal air compressor tank

bjordmia

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hello Brethren!!! I just picked up this old compressor off of craigslist last weekend and am anxious to get started. I've never created a thread before and figured this was as good a time as any to chronicle my first build. I've purchased a welder and have absolutely no welding experience. What could possibly go wrong???

My goal is to build a patio smoker that I can keep on the patio of the condo I just moved in to about a week ago. I'm either going to piss the new neighbors off with my monstrosity or have them begging for Que. I looked at the Brinkmann Trailmaster but wasn't satisfied with the thickness of the metal and I didn't want to have to make all of the modifications that I see people make. More than anything, it gave me a reason to buy the welder and start looking for all the parts I'm going to need. I originally considered a 120 gallon propane tank but felt like the 24" diameter was a little too big and the tanks seem hard to come by. However, the more I researched air compressor tanks, the more interested I became in pursuing those as the cooking chamber. There seems to be a lot more for sale and if they're broken, people seem to let them go pretty cheap. I found the compressor on craigslist for $150 and talked the guy down to $100. I was really hoping to find something around $50-$75 but wanted to get started so I pulled the trigger. The tank was stored in an old barn when I picked it up and it actually still works. I didn't know the thickness of the tank and was left to hope that it was thicker than 1/8". I was pleasantly surprised to find a plate welded to the tank that lists the shell thickness at .203. Not the 1/4" I was hoping for but it will do. The coolest part is that the tank was manufactured in 1942 and I was able to do some research on the company that built it based on the info I found on the tank. Love that this thing already has some history and hope it's around as a smoker for another 75 years... Here's what I've done so far. Looking forward to the comments and suggestions as I work my way through this build.

Attachments

• IMG_20141101_111140_640.jpg
    IMG_20141101_111140_640.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,126
  • IMG_20141104_164235_459.jpg
    IMG_20141104_164235_459.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,120
  • IMG_20141104_164300_252.jpg
    IMG_20141104_164300_252.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,128
That will make a neat patio cooker. The Feldon calculator will be your friend:
http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

My next best advice is to get some clean 1/4 inch and 1/8 scrap steel (anything: plate, angle or flat bar) and practice with your welder before you start for real.

For what it is worth, I really like and recommend building a reverse flow.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Edit: those compressor parts (flywheel, heads etc.) are work cash, don't pitch them without trying to sell them off.

That will make a neat patio cooker. The Feldon calculator will be your friend:
http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

My next best advice is to get some clean 1/4 inch and 1/8 scrap steel (anything: plate, angle or flat bar) and practice with your welder before you start for real.

For what it is worth, I really like and recommend building a reverse flow.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Edit: those compressor parts (flywheel, heads etc.) are work cash, don't pitch them without trying to sell them off.
Thanks dwfisk! I'll definitely pick some up and get some practice in. I'm also checking with the local community college to see if they're offering any classes. Do you weld? Would you recommend a MIG welder for this build? The tank is .203 and I'll make the fire box out of .25. I originally picked up a Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 at an estate sale for $200. Not sure if I should try to sell it and invest in a MIG 180? Any thoughts?

Currently gathering materials to build a offset similar to your size. I'll be looking forward to seeing your process!

Yea, I do quite a bit of welding and I have MIG, TIG, Stick and old school oxy-acetylene gas gear. I use my stick welders on big farm stuff but I find working on thinner material (1/4" and less) is easier with a MIG, but you can certainly use the Lincoln stick welder with the right sticks and some practice. A new MIG will cost a bunch (I like Millers & Hobarts) so trying the stick you have is worth the effort to get some scrap & practice.

Hey, you can always get a couple of grinders to clean up a messy looking stick weld:becky:

On Edit: A decent inert gas MIG will hit you for at least $700 plus the argon-CO2 mix gas bottle for another $200. If you already have the stick welder I would NOT mess with the flux core MIG machines ($300-$400); they are no better than what you already have. I would learn to use the Lincoln stick you already have. Just my $.0.02.

Last edited:
If you already have a Lincoln AC/DC buzz box you can absolutely make the smoker you want. I welded up a 200+ gallon smoker with the same welder. It won't be as fast as a mig, but penetration is excellent. I usually weld with DC negative, but weld with what ever you are better at. Make the fire box and exhaust sized to the calculator and you will be fine. It looks like a great size for a patio. I did a regular offset with tuning plates and can get both ends within 5 degrees and usually stop at 10. A reverse flow will also work. Have fun with it be patient and you will be fine.

I got a piece of 2x4 1/4" flat steel today for th sides of my fire box and door for $30! Also guy at work called and said hey scored you a boat trailer for FREE! You moving along any?

I got a piece of 2x4 1/4" flat steel today for th sides of my fire box and door for $30! Also guy at work called and said hey scored you a boat trailer for FREE! You moving along any?
Didn't get to work on it today but did manage to take a grinder to the tank and cut of the motor mount and feet. I rolled it over and a good 1\2 gal of water poured out. I knew it was a possibility because compressors are notorious for collecting moisture. Anxious to get the doors cut so I can see the inside. Just hoping there's not so much rust that it's unusable. Planning on getting the tank back in the truck tomorrow and taking it to a car wash to pressure wash all the crap off of it. I plan on laying out the doors and cutting the doors this weekend. That's a great deal on the steel. I stopped by a steel supplier on the west side of Columbus, OH (Alro Steel) to price some pieces. For 6 pieces of 1\4" measuring 18" x 18", they wanted $197. I'll definitley be checking the recycle yards and watching craigslist for a deal. I have a recycle yard close by that said if I come by around 7am, before the machines get rolling, they'll let me walk the yard and look for material.

Making Progress...

Hello everyone,

I wanted to give the measurements of the tank which are 21" diameter by 51" long and I'll be using it to make a reverse flow patio smoker.

I've made a little bit of progress in my build. After acquiring the 60 gallon air compressor tank for the cooking chamber, I needed to find the steel to make my firebox. I wanted 1/4" minimum and searched craigslist and even checked out a large steel supplier in my area of Columbus, Ohio. Alro Steel gave me a price on 6 pieces of 1/4" measuring 18" x 18". They wanted $197.00 so needless to say, I passed! I then managed to find, on craigslist, 4 pieces of 5/16 thick steel plates measuring 2' x 10' for $100!!! I have enough to make my firebox as well as a welding table and will then use what's left to make a vertical offset smoker.

And here's where I need everyone's input:
1. Has anyone used the Milwaukee 6370-21 8" Metal Cutting Saw ($260 at Home Depot). The reviews are impressive and I've seen it used to cut material thicker than mine. All the reviews I've seen rave about it. I would love a plasma cutter but don't want to spend the money on that or an oxy torch setup. The cuts I've seen with the Milwaukee are impressive.

#2. Should I use the 5/16 material for my baffle plate to create the reverse flow chamber below the main cooking chamber. My tank is only .203 thick so it's significantly less than the firebox and baffle plate material which is 5/16 or .3125 thick. This is probably a stupid question since I have the material but I don't want to make a mistake. I'm probably over thinking it...

3. Welding: I have a Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 arc welder and practically no welding experience. What rods would everyone recommend for the firebox assembly. I'm thinking 6010, 6011, maybe. I can prep the steel as much as necessary and have read some amazing reviews about 7014 rods. What say you???

Thanks everyone for looking and I appreciate any suggestions you have.

Attachments

• IMG_20141104_191844_309.jpg
    IMG_20141104_191844_309.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_20141108_090602_440.jpg
    IMG_20141108_090602_440.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_20141108_090611_378.jpg
    IMG_20141108_090611_378.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 575
Go with the 7014 rods you will be happy they lay like butter...I prefer them over the 6011 or the 6010. I have been using a wire feed and am spoiled now. but for a stick welder I found the 7014 or 7018 to be better...

Moving along...

I was able to pick up an a-frame hoist at an estate auction for $60. Comes with a manual winch and works perfect for my application. I'm trying to build this thing by myself with a very bad back. That's the reason for the new stand/cart I built to be able to work on the tank. I saw the design on a thread and loved the idea. 4 - 2"x4"'s and a moving dolly and casters from Harbor Freight. I'll now be able to rotate the chamber which will hopefully make cutting and welding much easier. I've also ordered the Milwaukee Metal Cutting Circular Saw. (Model # 6370-21) Starting to get excited about cutting in to this tank and firing up the buzz box!!! Almost forgot, was able to pick up all the 2" angle iron I'll need for the stand at the same estate sale. Paid $10 for it!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20141109_163936_640.jpg
    IMG_20141109_163936_640.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_20141109_164505_720.jpg
    IMG_20141109_164505_720.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 553
  • IMG_20141109_163953_424.jpg
    IMG_20141109_163953_424.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 552
Great scores and that working table is really neat; might need to make myself one of those.

Back