• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I still don't like smoked chicken

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Granted this was on a gasser with apple chunks...

9d90fb9950808f74c9073282ab5b8cd1.jpg

06c4cb3fcccf2659df339dc0be37e780.jpg

70370d3ea1293a8c80e6454d7613bc6a.jpg

Well...you'd better figure out how to perfect it or your won't get any calls. Don't matter what you like...how do your friends and family like it?!? Looks pretty good to me.

Well...you'd better figure out how to perfect it or your won't get any calls. Don't matter what you like...how do your friends and family like it?!? Looks pretty good to me.

I gave them away to some neighbors. They loved it but I just couldn't see myself eating 5 drumsticks and 12 wings by myself. . My pecking order is Fried Chicken > Grilled Chicken > Rotisserie Chicken > Smoked Chicken.

I am with you. Chicken is a grilling meat, not a smoking meat. If I smoke chicken, it is too eat cold in a salad or sliced as sandwhich meat.

Exactly. I need a crispy skin!

Wings especially need to be fried. I keep trying to get close on the grill, but so far I have come up way short. The best wings are double fried. First at low temp to par cook, then chill or freeze for later, then a second hot fry to get them super crisp without over cooking the meat. Yum! You can smoke chill fry, but I don't think it is worth it if you are going to cover them in sauce.

You can smoke chill fry, but I don't think it is worth it if you are going to cover them in sauce.

I think I saw that on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives... smoked wings that are then deep fried. Sounds like it would be dry by the time it's on the table.

Oddly enough, I am not big on too much smoke, but I love cold smoked whole chicken that i rotisserie after about an hour of cold smoke.

Don't get caught up in semantics. Cook good food using the appropriate technique for each given situation.

Wings especially need to be fried. I keep trying to get close on the grill, but so far I have come up way short. The best wings are double fried. First at low temp to par cook, then chill or freeze for later, then a second hot fry to get them super crisp without over cooking the meat. Yum! You can smoke chill fry, but I don't think it is worth it if you are going to cover them in sauce.

I'm with ya, and the closest I've gotten to "fried" wings on a grill is spinning them in a basket on a rotisserie, slightly indirect heat.

This was at the request of the wife, who somehow confused "smoked" and "grilled."

Her: It's different than last time.
Me: I smoked it. That's what you said you wanted.
Her: You know me by now. You should have grilled it.
Me: *Held my inner thoughts*

I think I saw that on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives... smoked wings that are then deep fried. Sounds like it would be dry by the time it's on the table.

That's exactly how Home Team BBQ in Charleston does them - and they are among the best wings I've ever had. Smoke them and then a flash fry before serving. Tender, smoked meat on the inside and crispy skin on the outside.

Sometimes I skip them altogether though and go for their chicken skins appetizer. Amazing.

Chicken should be done hot and fast. Pecan is my favorite wood to throw on the coals for poultry.

Chicken should be done hot and fast. Pecan is my favorite wood to throw on the coals for poultry.

It was 300F at the start and 275F throughout. Probed at 165-170 after 80 minutes. It's still not hot enough to crisp the skin.

I cook chicken over a smokey wood fire. Dome temps can push 400 at times. Is this chicken smoked? Grilled? Bbqed? Roasted? Delicious?

Back