WSM vs. Pecos (offset) cook comparison

Q_Done_Right

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've owned two WSM's for a little over the past two years and cooked on them a LOT. And I think I've become quite good at using them...there definitely isn't a BBQ joint around here that I'd choose over mine and the people who bought from me when I vended earlier this summer went out of their way to provide great feedback.

Fast forward to today. I've wanted a stick burner for a good half year now and recently bought a brand new Pecos (Old Country BBQ Pits) offset smoker. I did a burnout session on Friday to learn the fire management aspect and smoked some chicken wings and two racks of ribs (baby backs and spare ribs from Whole Foods) today. I used the same rubs, sauces and cooking techniques on these meats as I do with my WSM's. The fuel was post oak splits (10-12") from B&B Charcoal. Temp was a solid 230-270 for most of the cook before I foiled the ribs and into the oven for the last hour...what I normally do to tenderize them. Fire came out as thin blue smoke 90% of the time. Here are my thoughts on the two:

I surprisingly liked the same food I make on the WSM's with KBB and Fruita wood chunks better...actually a lot better. The wings were good but I couldn't tell a difference in flavor between the two cookers...although I can get much crispier skin on the WSM by cooking over the hot coals without a water pan. This didn't work as well when I transferred them from the cooking chamber of the Pecos onto the grate of the firebox over the flames from the splits. The ribs are what really ended up surprising me though. The color was better on the Pecos (they sometimes get to dark on the WSM), but the flavor wasn't nearly as rich or deep. I don't know how to describe it...it was "smoother" on the offset but not nearly as smoky and I don't feel like the rubs penetrated the meat as much. I felt like they were rarher bland. Maybe I'm just to used to my WSM's, but I honestly felt like the "Que" off those taste much more like an authentic BBQ joint to me. I probably need to keep cooking on this Pecos.

Anyone else feel similarly or ever have the same experience?

Stick burners have a more subtle, smoother flavor than charcoal cookers. I much prefer the stick burner flavor, but many people prefer the stronger charcoal flavor.

I will say though I stopped using oak (white, not post oak around here) because I didn't think it was giving enough flavor. I use mostly hickory and apple now.

Did you use a water pan on the firebox end? I actually prefer the stick burner flavor than the WSM I've had for years. I still do my long cooks on the WSM because I just can't do a 12 hour cook and tend to it every hour. So my stick burner is for ribs, sausage, and the rare chicken cook.

As already said a clean burn on a stick burner will yield a mellow smoke flavor that enhances the meat rather than over power it.

I won't bore you with my story of going full circle back to stickburners, but I've sold both my wsm's and now have two stickburners. Kingsford is the most popular charcoal...and everyone's tastes are different.

I'm gonna jump on the dog pile here. I started on a COS and it was a pain. I wanted to upgrade but at the time didn't have the cash for a nice offset. The 300$ WSM was the best alternative. I cooked on it for 8 years.

I now have a nice offset and cook on it every chance I get. The flavor is far superior than any charcoal IMO. The WSM just bathes meat in smoke and it can be hard to change that. With the offset I can get as smoky as I wanna be, and it's a much cleaner smoke flavor.

It's all about preference, for me KBB overpowers the meat. Get your hands on some hickory or pecan and see if that suits your tastes more. I'm two cooks in on my new LSG offset and am thrilled with the profile and I'm burning maple which is fairly mild.

I didn't see it mentioned but the wood you bought was likely to be kiln-dried and that often results in a very dry wood which gives almost no flavor to the meat. I bought wood from Fruita when I got my first stickburner (Yoder Cheyenne) and I was shocked at how there was no wood flavor in the meat. I now buy wood locally from a farm, not kiln-dried, with a higher moisture content and when it burns it smells great, and it imparts a rich, mellow smokey flavor to the meat.

Good luck with your stickburner but I would really try to source a 1/2 cord of local firewood (hardwoods only; oak, pecan, hickory, fruit woods, etc) and see if that gives you a better flavor. Kiln-dried wood just has no flavor in my opinion and the only time I've ever seen anybody recommend kiln-dried wood was in a Yoder video by All Things BBQ. haha

Edit: Craigslist is a great resource for firewood. Found this just to get you started (assuming you're in Chicago from your location under your username)
https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/hsh/d/oak-cherry-bbq-firewood/6232753825.html

Last edited:
I did not use a water pan in the Pecos. But the ribs came out super tender...especially after I foiled them for the last hour and 15 minutes of the cook. The post oak I used from B&B Charcoal burned real nicely and I had the fire management down for the entire cook. Not sure of their curing process used. Also, it's not that the meat didnt have any smoke flavor...it did. It was "smoother" like I said. I know this sounds crazy right now, but I thought the ribs I made on the WSM this past week (and during any other cook) were a lot better than the ones I cooked exactly the same way on the Pecos yesterday! I get that it is personal preference. Only had compliments on what I've ever cooked on the Webers and people have won BBQ comps using them. Next time I will apply a little more rub and cook hotter. I also don't plan to wrap. Going to do an 11 pound Prime brisket from Costco on the Pecos this coming weekend. While I love ribs on the WSM, I never particularly cared for how my briskets come out on them. The Pecos isn't going anywhere. I really enjoy using it. I'll report back.

Back