Generators

NovaBBQ1984

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello,

We are heading down to SLE Trailers this weekend to look at ideas for new concession trailer. Just wanted to see what everyone used for generators and where they place them on the trailer?

Also, does any use propane generators on their trailer?

Thanks!

I've seen several designs on their website with built in generator storage boxes with slide in/out trays.

I have a 30 ' Freedom trailer with a generator box with the slide out tray on the extended tounge. We run an 11000 watt champion gas generator. It's a little noisy but not to bad being that the box door is on the opposite side of our vending window. Good luck

I'm from a marine background and very surprised that great sound enclosures are not available. A solid base and correct mounts are key but I've installed custom enclosure on 2000hp main engines that made them silent and vibration free. The very high turbo noise made it out but just a faint whistle.

The generators on that boat had great enclosures that you could not tell they were running until you layed your arm on it or looked at the gauges.

I plan to buy some generator and build a double insulated wall enclosure around it for my trailer build. Exhaust is yet to be figured out because I can't go underwater. lol
Intake will probably be plumbed from above as well as cooling air flow.

I can't prove it but if your handy I'd bet you could easily turn 100db into 70. If you have the space. Also thinking about it the exhaust stack needs insulation and the walls etc so it won't be really cheap but I think worth the investment.

One thing to look into in your generator choice is clean power. I have read of some less expensive generators not being able to run some modern electronic appliances.

I don't have first hand experience with this but it comes up from time to time on trailer generator systems. Most recently with a semi commercial sanitizing dishwasher.

Sorry I don't have more info. I don't know what "clean power" the appliances are looking for. A regular generator always has power spikes. Usually the frequency is not constant. It dips and rises. At no load it may run 62hz and full load 60 or 60.5.

The voltage from my experience is more constant.

I may go with a propane generator and many do. I think that depends on what is easiest for you. If you plan propane appliances it makes more sense. If you have a diesel tow truck and throw a diesel tank in it obviously that has benefit.

I personally don't want gasoline anything if I can afford or avoid it.

Also if your trying to do things on a low budget you could install 2 smaller generators and split the electric bus or use 2 boxes. This would require some additional work if you are sometimes plugged in. Also there may be electrical regulations that prohibit it in some area's that I'm not aware of. For any regulation you would need a parallel switch that can combine one "shore power cord" to power both boxes. BUT it needs to have a mechanical lock out so that can't be applied while running on generator. Common in the marine environment so available. Or you can make the generators parallel also but that get's pricey with the less expensive generators. I believe the little Honda's and others have this option but they are pretty small generators.

Last edited:
Honda eu7000i. Buy once, cry once.

Trailer is a v nose 8.5x14 enclosed with a 6 ft porch. The generator rides around inside the enclosed portion of the trailer. Once we get to a comp or vending spot we wheel it down off the porch with a pair of $50 ramps from harbor freight.

Back