Spicewine Burn Time Results

MilitantSquatter

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share a bit more in detail from my cook today...

Temps below 32 degrees overnight... Medium Spicewine with 100 lbs of meat.. Used charcoal maze and Guru DigiQ II and set at 240 deg... No water in waterpan, but heavily lined with foil and aluminum pan to catch drippings.

Total burn time closing in on 24 hrs on one bag of Kingsford (21 lb) and some wood chunks. Last chuck roll was stubborn and just came off (22 hrs !!!) so I dampered down now.

I initially did not load the maze too deep so at 7 AM I added the second half of the bag to the maze when it dipped under 220. If I loaded it heavier from the beginning it would have been on cruise control for 24+ hrs.. At one point, I had it going as high as 275 degrees for 2 hrs or so to speed up the cook. I did clean out some ashes around 11AM to keep airflow solid.

Still a drop of fuel left and was at 246.. My guess is 30 hrs on one bag of K is possible with a Medium Spicewine and possibly more if the cooker was not loaded as heavily and temps were not below freezing.

Tremendous !!!

Vinny, do you normally use Kingsford instead of lump in the Spicewine, or just for this particular burn test?

PB120002.jpg
This is the "fuse burn" I use in my spicebox

You gotta love insulated pits, and that spicewine looks like a quality unit. If my wife would let me get away with having another pit, a spicewine would be it!

I concur with Vinny. At Harpoon we got 24 hours+ out of one bag using our charcoal bin (similar to Vinny's but made entirely of expanded metal) a Guru and medium Spicewine. IMHO, they are one of the best cookers out there. They are built like a brick chit house and cook like a dream. I don't think my Viking Range holds temp as good as the Spicewine. Water, we don't need no stinkin water.:biggrin:

Back