Thermapen copies

qnbiker

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
It rained in the middle of my smoked meatloaf cook and my not-waterproof instant read thermometer bit the dust. I decided to get a replacement on Amazon and found that half the instant read thermometers look just like Thermapens. I figured Thermoworks would have a patent or trademark or something, but evidently not. I wonder how many people get excited by finding a Thermapen for $14.95?

The outdoor nature of this hobby can reek havoc on electronics. I've gone through 3 Thermapens and finally had enough. I'm using a knock off now. It used to be that thermocouple was the only technology wirth looking at but thermosistors have made great strides in both speed and accuracy. I use the Lavatools Javelin Pro Duo. It is half the price and reads about a half second slower than a thermapen. For $50 I can wait a half second.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F59K0IW/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487345290&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65[/ame]

I went even cheaper with the regular javelin. Instant is a relative term, to be sure. Still way faster that waiting for a needle to work its way up or around :-D

My Thermapen Mk4 is waterproof. It's been rained on a few times, but never a downpour. I'd buy another one in a second if this one died.

Thermoworks has this warning at the top of their website

Warning regarding ThermoWorks products at Amazon, eBay and other sites
The lowest internet prices for ThermoWorks products are available at thermoworks.com and through special offers received by subscribers to ThermoWorks emails.
Amazon, eBay, walmart.com, sears.com and their sellers are NOT Authorized Dealers. There are unscrupulous sellers at those sites who have purchased ThermoWorks products at retail prices and are then re-selling them at significantly elevated prices, sometimes 2 to 4 times the Authorized List Price. After receiving numerous complaints from customers who were victimized by those listings, we felt it was important to do what we could to warn unsuspecting consumers.
Furthermore, we have received a growing number of complaints that such sellers are offering counterfeit, copycat, stolen units, and "Open-Box" units as authentic NEW ThermoWorks products. Thus, from January 1st of 2016, technical support and warranty coverage are only available on ThermoWorks products that are purchased direct from ThermoWorks or from ThermoWorks' Authorized Dealers. In this way we know the consumer is fully protected and we can protect our reputation for treating customers fairly.

The outdoor nature of this hobby can reek havoc on electronics. I've gone through 3 Thermapens and finally had enough. I'm using a knock off now. It used to be that thermocouple was the only technology wirth looking at but thermosistors have made great strides in both speed and accuracy. I use the Lavatools Javelin Pro Duo. It is half the price and reads about a half second slower than a thermapen. For $50 I can wait a half second.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F...F8&qid=1487345290&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

How have you gone through 3 thermapens? What happened to them? I thought that they were REALLY durable.

How have you gone through 3 thermapens? What happened to them? I thought that they were REALLY durable.

One word... RAIN.

I had a Chef Alarm that was reading 887 degrees, when I went out to check it in the morning after an overnight smoke. :cry: :cry:

One word... RAIN.

I had a Chef Alarm that was reading 887 degrees, when I went out to check it in the morning after an overnight smoke. :cry: :cry:

I put my Chef Alarm in a 1 quart, re-sealable plastic bag for overnight cooks. I keep the bag in the same box with my Chef Alarm.

Does take much effort to protect your thermo.

Thermopens really are great instruments and I have never had to replace mine.

My first two fell prey to rain/moisture. The early ones had no water resistance.

The last one was waterproof but apparently not 375° oil proof. Oops.

I got a Lavatools Javelin Pro Duo with my xmas money. I love it. Was 10% off too, so only $40 shipped when I got it.

That half a second adds up when you're checking 50 chicken legs

AGREED. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the Thermapen is a bad thermometer. Fortunately I haven't been tasked to cook 50 chicken parts since I switched to my "good enough" thermometer.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly how I came to the decision. I'm not a caterer. I'm not a restaurant chef. I'm not doing massive cooks. I'm just a guy who likes to cook and really likes cool gadgets. At some point I had to realize that spending another $109 on a restaurant grade thermometer didn't make the most sense. There are other options that work well for guys like me.

Back