Insurance for BBQ trailer

Harman Rabb Jr.

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Anyone have their trailer pit insured? My agent is not having any luck finding a policy.

I'm sure if it's licensed and requires tags, it can be insured. Most likely have to do it on stated value versus actual cash value, as I'm sure the insurance company would have a hard time placing a value on it.

My agent couldn't find a policy because of the food side of it. The cooker is covered in the yard by the home owners policy and while being towed by the vehicle policy. I was told to leave it hitched at all times when away from home.

My agent couldn't find a policy because of the food side of it. The cooker is covered in the yard by the home owners policy and while being towed by the vehicle policy. I was told to leave it hitched at all times when away from home.

As a fellow brethren, and multi lines adjuster with many years of experience, please, please check you policies closely and ask you agent specific, informed questions. I take calls from agents all day long regarding specific, unique claim handling issues. What I'm offering is based on the experience that MOST companies policies have very similar provisions.

First, on your homeowner's policy, if your pit is built on and permanently attached to a trailer, there is very likely a special coverage limit inside the policy for "trailers". At claims time, if it can be considered a trailer, then it likely will be considered a trailer, and the special limit will apply. That limit is often $1500.

In addition to that, the perils that it is covered against may be limited as well. So yes, covered as personal property, but probably much more limited than other items on your policy.

Regarding your vehicle policy, your pit/trailer will be covered for liability only. For example if you turn too tight and the trailer hits a parked car, you're covered for liability for the damages caused to the other car, but NOT for damages to the smoker/trailer. Under no circumstances that I know of will the collision or theft coverage transfer from the insured car to the attached/pulled trailer. The damage to the attached/pulled trailer is specifically excluded under every standard, non-commercial policy that I'm aware of. You are being charged a collision/comprehensive premium based on the car only, so that coverage won't transfer to the pulled trailer. Keeping it hitched to the car only helps in terms of liability since the other coverages don't transfer from the car.

Again, these statements are a little broad but based on years of experience with multiple companies and policies and these policies are largely standardized. If these don't apply to your specific situation, you are very lucky. I hope you'll speak to your agent or claims adjuster about these specifics.

As a fellow brethren, and multi lines adjuster with many years of experience, please, please check you policies closely and ask you agent specific, informed questions. I take calls from agents all day long regarding specific, unique claim handling issues. What I'm offering is based on the experience that MOST companies policies have very similar provisions.

First, on your homeowner's policy, if your pit is built on and permanently attached to a trailer, there is very likely a special coverage limit inside the policy for "trailers". At claims time, if it can be considered a trailer, then it likely will be considered a trailer, and the special limit will apply. That limit is often $1500.

In addition to that, the perils that it is covered against may be limited as well. So yes, covered as personal property, but probably much more limited than other items on your policy.

Regarding your vehicle policy, your pit/trailer will be covered for liability only. For example if you turn too tight and the trailer hits a parked car, you're covered for liability for the damages caused to the other car, but NOT for damages to the smoker/trailer. Under no circumstances that I know of will the collision or theft coverage transfer from the insured car to the attached/pulled trailer. The damage to the attached/pulled trailer is specifically excluded under every standard, non-commercial policy that I'm aware of. You are being charged a collision/comprehensive premium based on the car only, so that coverage won't transfer to the pulled trailer. Keeping it hitched to the car only helps in terms of liability since the other coverages don't transfer from the car.

Again, these statements are a little broad but based on years of experience with multiple companies and policies and these policies are largely standardized. If these don't apply to your specific situation, you are very lucky. I hope you'll speak to your agent or claims adjuster about these specifics.

Very much appreciated. I'll check again and ask questions based on your advice. I should have written it all down when I asked.

You might ask your agent about what is called Land & Sea.I carried this when I work around the Nascar circuit for 19 years.

You might ask your agent about what is called Land & Sea.I carried this when I work around the Nascar circuit for 19 years.

That's a great idea I didn't think of. Sometimes called inland marine policy. Others offer PAP- personal articles policy. It just depends what items they are willing to write under those policies.

Anyone have their trailer pit insured? My agent is not having any luck finding a policy.

I don't have the years experience in the insurance business but I have filed claims and like ya'll I live in Texas. My Good Hands agent told me exactly the same thing as pjytexas1 was told as far as collision and liability while hooked to truck. To cover theft and other perils when at home or away I pay $40 per year for $4k stated value (appraised by mfgr) for my smoker. Same applies to my 5th wheel rv,$105 per year for $15k stated value. The rv was damaged in a hail storm April 11-2016 while in my yard(stones that went through several roofs and ceilings,winding up on carpet inside houses). Good Hands wrote me a check for $14.5k. The smoker fared better than the rv,autos and house but Good Hands gave me $850 for chipped paint and dented fenders. My nephew(lives in Tx) stacked up his truck and rv in Co,he had no stated value extended coverage but Good Hands covered the rv under his collision for NADA. I have two farm trailers that are not insured under any of the above circumstances. Why? Business use isn't covered. I don't know how that last statement would effect a competition smoker rig.

Back