sausage making epiphany.....

sbramm

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
so i have some "use em or lose em" vacation days, and i needed to do some work around the house, but i really wanted to make a pile of sausage. so i took some time off last week.

i made brats, cajun boudin and chicken jalapeno on thu-sat (along with brakes on the wifes car and a new head gasket on the tractor). hit the wall yesterday and while the hot links were ground/mixed but i just didn't want to stuff.

so the casings sat overnight.

and there was the epiphany.

i had always just soaked casings for 30 minutes prior to stuffing. sometimes works well, other times, not so much.

these overnight soaked cases were perfect. the best way to describe how easy they worked, is not appropriate for a family forum, but everything was perfect.

the take away: start soaking casings the day before.

now, i'm sure everyone else already knows this "trick", but since there may be some idiots like me, i figured i would share!

I never plan right and forget to soak the casings. Now I know to make more of an effort

Yes! And the casings don't make a big deal about themselves while eating the sausage either. I know a nice snap can be good but there is nothing at all lovely about chewing through a rubbery casing. Makes your mind think about where they came from...

Chicken jalapeno sound good. I have made chicken sausage and added about 1-2 tbls of the Walkerswood jerk seasoning along with adding mango to the grinding process. Jerk chicken mango sausages. Rock on.

Back