North Texas Brethren Bash, Saturday Oct 18th - Lake Ray Roberts Isle du Bois State Park

Thanks Peeps. I "mentioned" about this trip to the wife and she actually thought it sounded fun. We'll see how things go. Do y'all normally show up Friday or Saturday? Looking at Google, if we woke up really early, we could be there by lunch Saturday, but we are both pretty much night people due to our jobs, so not sure how that would work. We'll have to see how it goes.

Yeah, what Peeps said. Some folks camp Friday night. I'm close enough that I'll just be getting up early Saturday morning.

I hope you've harvested some yellow jackets. Late October is after their season, ain't it?
null_zpsb556a7e1.jpg

This one went for a swim in early November. This year has been cooler, though, so you never know :wink:

Thanks Peeps. I "mentioned" about this trip to the wife and she actually thought it sounded fun. We'll see how things go. Do y'all normally show up Friday or Saturday? Looking at Google, if we woke up really early, we could be there by lunch Saturday, but we are both pretty much night people due to our jobs, so not sure how that would work. We'll have to see how it goes.

From NE San Antonio to the mid cities in DFW is about 4.5-5.25 hours depending on traffic and construction. On a Saturday, and with Texas playing a night game the traffic/parking in Austin shouldn't be bad. The worst traffic you'd probably see would be on the north side of Ft. Worth.

From NE San Antonio to the mid cities in DFW is about 4.5-5.25 hours depending on traffic and construction. On a Saturday, and with Texas playing a night game the traffic/parking in Austin shouldn't be bad. The worst traffic you'd probably see would be on the north side of Ft. Worth.
Or you could skip 35 and come up 281 or 16 for most of the drive if you like something more scenic and less traveled.

Or you could skip 35 and come up 281 or 16 for most of the drive if you like something more scenic and less traveled.

More deer crossing the road, and more expensive speeding tickets. Don't ask how I know either of those things:mad2::wink:

More deer crossing the road, and more expensive speeding tickets. Don't ask how I know either of those things:mad2::wink:
Yeah, 281 has lots of troopers. My Passport 9500i has saved me from many a ticket on 281!

16 is much less patrolled...deer are a crap shoot on either.

Though one could argue that your chances of hitting a deer on 281 or 16 vs getting hit by an idiot on 35 are similar :wink:

"If" you come, warn me if there is any sesame used in the Korean ribs. I'd hate to interrupt the bash by going into shock. :wacko:

You sir are not allowed to have any Korean Ribs. I am almost positive there are seeds and / or sesame oil in them...

I would love to join you guys this year. But I really hope to be on the road back from Alabama with a new SF cooker that weekend. mid October finish fingers crossed.

I need to tag this post so I get emails. I can't promise anything at this time, but will let y'all know as it gets closer. If I come, I'll bring my WSM.

I have two tents, if you need to borrow one. They are both really good tents, so you'll be okay even if the weather turns bad.

CD

*IF* I can make the trip, I'll bring some of my wife's Korean Ribs. Twenty to thirty minutes to cook over direct heat. Should be great for lunch. If that is the only thing I end cooking, I might not bring my WSM unless someone else needs it. We'll see. Can always delegate it as a fatty smoker...

I'll need a link to Google maps for the park and some info as to whether we can bring our two small mutts. Is there a cheap hotel in the area? If not, I'll look into borrowing a tent from a friend.

Already posted before reading this.

You can borrow a tent from me. There are also hotels along I-35. The park is close to Denton, which is a University town, so there are plenty of hotels, Including a Motel6 20 minutes from the park -- they'll keep the light on for ya.'

Pets are fine, on a leash. The park rangers there are pretty nice. I've never had any problems at that park.

CD

Yeah, 281 has lots of troopers. My Passport 9500i has saved me from many a ticket on 281!

16 is much less patrolled...deer are a crap shoot on either.

Though one could argue that your chances of hitting a deer on 281 or 16 vs getting hit by an idiot on 35 are similar :wink:

I prefer 16/281, even if it takes longer. I usually take some twisty detours along the way, and stop in Llano for some brisket. I catch I-35 in Hillsboro. From there, taking I-35E through Fort Worth is the best route to Denton, and the park.

Driving up I-35 may be faster, but it sucks. I'll take six hours on a country highway over four hours on I-35 any day.

CD

Thanks for the info. We'll have to get closer before we'll know if we can go.

Just a note from a brethren who has camped at Isle du Bois State Park many times -- in mid December. The location for this bash is well protected from the wind, and is is close to the Deer Ridge campground, which is where we always camp.

If you plan on camping, you can not reserve a specific campsite in a Texas State Park. So, what we always do is make our reservations, and the first one of us to arrive tells the rest of us where they are. Then, we can ask for sites near them when we arrive.

In October, getting us all together for camping should not be hard. Deer Ridge is a good campsite loop. We should be able to get all the campers close together.

Oh, there are skunks in that park. They are pretty used to people, but keep your dogs on a leash at night.

CD

Just joined this site and would really like to attend one of these things to meet new people and learn something new. I travel a lot on my Goldwing and pull a trailer behind it...when I'm not stuck behind a desk. I could manage a Weber Kettle in the trailer with all my camping gear and probably some quick lunch snacks for everybody. Really, really new to BBQ on anything but a gas grill. Never did much besides burgers, brats, steaks on it. The gas grill broke down and then had a going away blast when I placed 40 lbs of Tannerite in it.

Bought a One Touch Weber 22.5 and used GMG DB about 3 months ago...i will never cook on gas again! I love the smell of the smoke, and the ease of use of the pellet grill as well. I decided to try smoking something simple and forgiving for the fun of it and feed the mechanics at my work, and now that the mechanics have spread the word to other shops... It's now a twice a month feed for 40. Been a 2 meal menu so far. Last week it was 4 Pork Butts on the GMG. It was a tight fit! After trolling here a few days I ran upon a Yoder Smoker review and being 45 minutes from them I made a call and going up tomorrow to pick up a YS640. Chicken and Pork has been my only 2 group cooks. Did a Flat Iron steak on the GMG low and slow today for lunch and my gas grill never produced that tender of a steak! I think i have read enough to attempt a Brisket now...although they seem to be pretty happy with my Chicken and Pork. But my recipe knowledge is nil and skills at a rookie level at best. Well I guess thats my intro:mrgreen: Noobs welcome?

Last weeks cook.

image-M.jpg

image-M.jpg

My Cockpit in a wet British Columbia!

P1010734-M.jpg

My camping rig

P1000001-M.jpg

Back