At What Point Do You Pull The MM?

I_Use_The_Force

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I've tried a lot of different techniques to turn in the perfect MM, and have never been 100% satisfied with the MM I turn in. For instance, yesterday was doing a practice cook, checked the temp on the MM after a few hours and it was 174. At that point, pulled the meat off the smoker, separated the MM, and put the meat back on with the temp probe in the thicker part down by the horn. To my surprise, that section of the butt was only at 151. Since I separated the MM, I decided to leave it off for an hour in an effort to get the rest of the butt an opportunity to catch up. All I learned was that I need more practice (and to stop removing most of the fat). Half the butt ended up undercooked while the MM ended up overcooked, and all of it was dry (I know probably mostly due to pulling off the fat - though part of it may have been due to me not using a pan for the first part as well I think)

Anyways, the cook got me thinking...when should I separate the MM? At a specific temp? When I wrap? Or should I leave it on the entire cook and only pull it at the end? If you remove it at different times based on how your cook is going...what are the things you're looking at to determine when to pull it? Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,
Jeff

Leave it on and let it cool before you slice. "Most" MM seems to be ready at 195 based on conventional wisdom I have heard from BBQ class and others, but I tend to take mine a little higher and let it cool before slicing.

When it's probe tender. Temp will vary based on your cook temp. Usually between 195 (cooking lower ~240) and 205+ (cooking hotter ~300+).

That said, I've heard of successful teams pulling much earlier than both those.

I cook MM to 200* rest of butt usually 160-170 range. I remove MM and keep cooking rest of butt until it reaches 200* or more. I wrap MM in foil and put in Cambro until after chicken turn in then I put MM back onto cooker until pork turn in. I have also cooked entire butt just until MM reaches 200* and basically waste the rest of the butt and I also Have cooked entire butt while playing with turning it and foil to protect MM and gotten MM and rest of butt at close to same internal. Just for me and my timeline I now like removing MM

I don't mess with removing it early. I've had good results cooking with it attached all the way through and separating just before turn in. I'm cooking on a UDS and I make it a point to cook with the MM towards the outside of the drum where the temp is maybe 10* cooler than in the center. It is definitely tender, but not mushy. It shouldn't be drying out if you're injecting and foiling.

I hope there is more feedback, because I have the same issues....:help::popcorn:

Money muscle

I cook whole butt till money muscle it 185-187, cut it off at that point then cook rest of butt to 198, sometime I foil sometimes I don't all depends on color.

I cook on #GDS's at 300*. I take my butts off at 205*-210*. I look for the same probe tender as I get from a brisket. The rest of the butt should be done when they are.

Back