Chicken Thighs

chargriller

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was thinking of putting some chicken thighs in the smoker when I was smoking a butt tomorrow.

My question is how the heck do you smoke chicken?

Should I do type of brine? or just throw them on the grates and add some type of rub them them and call them good?

I was going to place them on the hotter side of the smoker so the skin will not be so chewy.

Anything else I should think about, maybe inject. I am not sure, this is sort of an experment I do tons of beer can chicken but use a lot higher heat 350 or so, that takes about 2 hours for a chicken.

What do I take thighs to?
Skin up or down?

Sorry for the dumb questions but just was wondering.

Thanks for any help.

Well, a quick and easy way is to marinade for a couple of hours in Wishbone Italian dressing. You can certainly brine them, inject, etc.

Apply the rub and cook at your normal que temp - though chicken handles 275 or higher real well. I usually cook the chicken thighs for about 3 hours and sauce them a couple of times the last 30 minutes or so. I don't turn them and cook them skin side up.

We marinate them in Masterpiece Lemon Pepper marinade, cook them for about an hour and them put them in a sealed covered 1/2 pan for about 2 hours. They usually turn out pretty good especially if you smoke them in cherry wood.

I marinate overnight using Goya Mojo Criollo. Then put a rub on them and cook at 225-250 for 4 hours. Skin side down the first hour, skin side up the rest of the time. Spray every hour and then glaze with sauce last hour. I don't take temps, I usually cut into one and blot with paper towel. If the paper towel doesn't turn pink, I'm good to go. If it turns pink, I'd cook longer. Usually they're done after 4 hours though.

Marinate them a couple of hours in Dale's, Knock your dick in the dirt good.

I forgot about marinades that would a quick fix, can you still dust them with a rub or would that defeat the purpose fo the marinade?

I am getting so hungry just talking about all this chicken.

How long would it take to cook a whole chicken like a beer can chicken? If takes 4 hours to do some thighs what would a whole bird take?

What should the internal temp of the chicken? I do not trust my self for he pink test, but I do know that if it is pink keep it on.

Will you get any type of smoke ring on a chicken?

I do chicken parts in Dale's for about 30 minutes.

Beer can chicken usually takes around 3 maybe 3 1/2 hours. I run the smoker around 275-300* until the thigh is at 170*. Pull it out, wrap it in foil and into the cooler until time to eat. If you think it will be in the cooler a long time then pull it off the smoker when the thigh is around 165* or so. And I usually just throw the skin away off the birds. With parts you could throw 'em on the grill to crisp it up some.

I forgot about marinades that would a quick fix, can you still dust them with a rub

Absolutely!

How long would it take to cook a whole chicken like a beer can chicken? If takes 4 hours to do some thighs what would a whole bird take?

Depends on how long you cook it. Come to think of it, other than a beer can chicken, I've never done a whole chicken on the smoker. I've cut them in half before and cooked them like that and it took about 5 hours at 225-250. I think the rules for doneness on chicken is 180 but that's probably approaching "too dry" range. That's why I just do the paper towel test.

Will you get any type of smoke ring on a chicken?

Never really noticed a smoke ring but there are some pinkish red parts to it. I generally get some "is it done" comments about that but it's good to go.

This sounds good to me, I will for sure be putting a few thight or other pices on the smoker.

Not sure what marinade I will use but I will for sure hit them with a little Blues Hog.

On the few occasions that I have put chicken in the smoker, I have not noticed any smoke rings, but I do cook my chicken by temp more so than anything else.

I coat mine with Hen & Hog Dust and zip-lock overnight. Before going on the smoker, I put on some Hickory Salt and pepper to taste. After about 2 hours I spritz them every 20 min. with a combination of Sweet Heat, Honey and chicken broth. I finish them with a mixture of Sweet Heat and Honey.

Have the chicken soaking in some KC Masterpice Caribbean Jerk Marinade smells very good, this will be going on with my pork butt.

Well, I am going to put some chicken thighs in with the brisket, ham and chicken. A couple of fatties and some bone-in pork ribs.

I've become a believer in brining chicken, basic 1/2 cup each of brown sugar and kosher salt per gallon of water. Brine overnight then inject with Cajun Injector's creole garlic butter marinade. Whole chickens go on for 1 hour per lb. while thighs go for 2 hours in the smoke chamber then finish on the grill. Skin side down-flip-add sauce and let em glaze for a few minutes. Season with what ever trips your trigger. I like to rub the rosemary garlic seasoning on the meat then place the skin back on and sprinkle with pork and poultry season salt and peppers.

I also highly believe in brining chicken. It is un-farking-believeable how moist they are! And as far as smoke rings on chicken, you won't see that. you will, however, see red around the bones. This is the equivilent of smoke rings in pork or beef. Good luck! I'm doing thighs tomorrow. Think I'll marinate them in Emeril's Hickory, Honey, Chipotle marinade for awhile after brining tonight. Then splash on a little Hen n Hog Ddust before putting on the cooker.

Brine overnight then inject with Cajun Injector's creole garlic butter marinade.
Neilio....

If you are brining and injecting, how can you tell what is really making your chicken more moist? I ask this because, in all my cooking, I have never brined chicken. I do inject, and have marinaded, or just rubbed and smoked.
Can you really tell a difference?

yes, you can tell the difference. Also, brining helps hold the moisture in case you happen to over cook a little.

I have been brining chicken now for 2 years after seeing GOOD EATS and alton brown brining the turkey. I have yet to try it with a turkey, but may this year.

Anyway, try the brining, you will like it!

Back