What the heck did I just buy? BGE clone? (picture heavy)

jimithing78

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi all. Was perusing craigslist the other day and saw a posting for a BGE-like grill + table for $50. No pictures. I've never owned a Kamado but I've been wanting to see what they're all about so I asked the guy to e-mail me some pictures and he sent a couple of pretty poor angled shots but I could at least see it was a kamado type grill so I said I'd take it and went to grab it. It was dark when I got there so I didn't get a good look at it but now I have it home and and finally got a chance to check it out.

The pattern doesn't look like a big green egg. And the top cover gives it away I guess - doesn't seem to be an egg. But what is it? Just a generic clone? There's a circle K logo in the 4th picture below and of course the top says "BBQ Smoker Top Taiwan." You can see from the pictures it's pretty rough. The finish is on the outside doesn't have any cracks in it or anything but it's faded. Possibly painted at one time?

2h4z4i0.jpg

2jfhlyp.jpg

dbqioz.jpg

zy928h.jpg

2vl0787.jpg

2w40k1s.jpg

x4he0z.jpg

2nati6w.jpg

2h2dv7n.jpg

Here's the list of things to do that I've found so far:

1. One of the hinges doesn't seem to open all the way and lock like it's supposed to (second hinge picture). I need to play with the band adjustments and hopefully I'll be able to correct that. I don't really want to try finding a replacement hinge for this - can't be done easily unless a medium BGE happens to be the exact same dimensions.

2. It doesn't have a gasket on it at all. What's the best way to get all the soot buildup off so the gasket will adhere properly? And what's the best gasket? BGE brand or something else?

3. You can see the fire box and fire ring are cracked. The ring is probably still useable - it's just in 2 pieces. The fire box looks pretty bad to me. It's crumbling so I'd like to replace it. At the opening the grill is 18" from outside edge to outside edge. 16" from inside edge to inside edge. This thing seems to be about the size of a medium BGE - will a medium BGE firebox fit properly? Can anyone with a medium BGE confirm the firebox dimensions?

4. I didn't get a picture of it but the draft door at the front is frozen and will have to be replaced. The screw holes are approximately where the holes are for a BGE so I suppose I'll get one meant for a medium BGE and see if it fits. The bolts holding it in on the inside are frozen from rust so I'll have to cut off the screw heads on the outside and hope it works out.

5. I'd like to remove some of the built up soot. I'll probably scrape as much as I can but may also try to burn it out after I get it in working shape. Or is there a better way? Wire brush is probably too abrasive, right?

6. Charcoal grate is obviously toast as well. From looking around it seems that the high-que grate is the way to go.

Looks like a copy of a BGE, take careful measurements, often the measurements of these copies are identical, often they are made in the same factory, as the original. You might be surprised. I would think slowly and carefully scraping the area until you can take a Scotchbrite pad to the rim is the way to get that soot off. Nobody I know with an Egg has ever let it get that bad.

Hope you like jigsaw puzzles?
Do a search for some of my Kamado restorations and get that claypot back in action!

2. It doesn't have a gasket on it at all. What's the best way to get all the soot buildup off so the gasket will adhere properly? And what's the best gasket? BGE brand or something else?

Elliots Hardware in Plano used to be a BGE dealer if you need any measurements.
Since we are not sure if it's clay or ceramic, I wouldn't try a high heat clean burn.
Crumbled up Alum foil I heard works pretty good.
Rutland gaskets have been very popular for replacement gaskets

Great Deal

It looks like you got yourself a genuine Imperial Kamado. They were made in Japan after WWII for export and many military guys brought them back well through the 1970's. Production for some parts moved to China like the top vent. The ceramic could still be from Japan. Search this site and you'll find several restoration projects. New fire rings and grates are available on-line too That ain't no BGE knock off. It's the other way around brother...:thumb:

$50 seems like it pretty much risk free. keep us posted on the restoration.

Great find!

Very interesting! I've been working on fixing up my Kamado (Japanese Imperial #5) and yours looks very close to the same. The hinge appears to be identical, and I had the same issue with one side "latching" while the other would not. In seeking a new hinge I learned they don't exist any longer unless you locate a used one. I'm planning to have mine rebuilt by a local metal shop. I have located and purchased some new components (fire box, grate) that do fit mine though they are slightly different dimensionally to the original. They came from Grill Dome. I did bond my Fire Ring back together (it was in only two pieces) using some fireplace cement. My firebox was in so many pieces that I threw it away once I confirmed that the Grill Dome firebox would fit. In hindsight, I would have kept it and slowly bonded it back together (at least as a backup). Below are some pics that may lend some further insight. What a deal!

Attachments

• 2014-08-23 10.54.14.jpg
    2014-08-23 10.54.14.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 663
  • 2014-08-23 10.54.04.jpg
    2014-08-23 10.54.04.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 662
  • 2014-08-23 10.45.48.jpg
    2014-08-23 10.45.48.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 663
  • 2014-08-23 10.46.16.jpg
    2014-08-23 10.46.16.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 663
  • IMAG0338.jpg
    IMAG0338.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 661
  • 2014-08-24 13.51.31.jpg
    2014-08-24 13.51.31.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 663
Looks like a copy of a BGE, take careful measurements, often the measurements of these copies are identical, often they are made in the same factory, as the original. You might be surprised. I would think slowly and carefully scraping the area until you can take a Scotchbrite pad to the rim is the way to get that soot off. Nobody I know with an Egg has ever let it get that bad.

Thanks. I'll try some small spots over the weekend and see what works best. I just really don't want to use any sort of chemical that might get into the pores.

Hope you like jigsaw puzzles?
Do a search for some of my Kamado restorations and get that claypot back in action!

I've definitely looked through some of your threads. Problem is that the firebox is really starting to crumble. Just me handling the pieces causes them to break apart a little. The bottom of the firebox completely disintegrated when I took it apart to clean some ash out before taking those pictures. I really need to find a replacement fire box somewhere.

Elliots Hardware in Plano used to be a BGE dealer if you need any measurements.
Since we are not sure if it's clay or ceramic, I wouldn't try a high heat clean burn.
Crumbled up Alum foil I heard works pretty good.
Rutland gaskets have been very popular for replacement gaskets

Yup, Elliots is right by my house and they are still a large volume BGE dealer. But I went in there yesterday and they didn't have any mediums on the floor. Plenty of larges and XL's and they even had a XXL. But no mediums. I also went to a place called Firehouse in Allen and they had a small on the floor but still no medium. I'll try Premiere Grilling and maybe Gold Metal Pools this weekend. It would be nice to at least confirm the size of the medium BGE firebox and firering before forking over big money for either one.

This might help on the gasket issue:

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/product_p/vidnomexgasket.htm

Nomex needs to be pre-shunk in a hot clothes dryer before install, app. 20 minutes

Thanks. Heard a little about the Nomex material but didn't know it needed to be preshrunk.

It looks like you got yourself a genuine Imperial Kamado. They were made in Japan after WWII for export and many military guys brought them back well through the 1970's. Production for some parts moved to China like the top vent. The ceramic could still be from Japan. Search this site and you'll find several restoration projects. New fire rings and grates are available on-line too That ain't no BGE knock off. It's the other way around brother...:thumb:

Right on. Need to look on the bottom and see if I can find any other markings.

For $50 it should be a fun project.

I agree, I would have picked it up for $50 too.

$50 seems like it pretty much risk free. keep us posted on the restoration.

Looks like a great winter project!!!!!

My thoughts exactly when I saw it. $50 seems like very low risk and I love tinkering with grills so this should keep me busy for a while. If I decide I like cooking on Kamados enough maybe later on I can step up to a more current version like a BGE, Primo, etc. Not because I'm a brand snob but I'm used to cooking on a Weber 22.5 with lots of grate room. The grate on this one appears to be about 15"

Very interesting! I've been working on fixing up my Kamado (Japanese Imperial #5) and yours looks very close to the same. The hinge appears to be identical, and I had the same issue with one side "latching" while the other would not. In seeking a new hinge I learned they don't exist any longer unless you locate a used one. I'm planning to have mine rebuilt by a local metal shop. I have located and purchased some new components (fire box, grate) that do fit mine though they are slightly different dimensionally to the original. They came from Grill Dome. I did bond my Fire Ring back together (it was in only two pieces) using some fireplace cement. My firebox was in so many pieces that I threw it away once I confirmed that the Grill Dome firebox would fit. In hindsight, I would have kept it and slowly bonded it back together (at least as a backup). Below are some pics that may lend some further insight. What a deal!

Very cool. How did you know yours is a #5? Just based on pictures of others found on the net? I'd like to see if I can determine what size mine is - maybe it'll help me find replacement parts. I looked at the Grill Dome website and it doesn't really list sizes for their firebox or firering. I'm a bit hesitant to buy something without knowing for sure it'll fit. It doesn't have to be the exact same size as what's in there now but it has to at least be functional.

Check out:

http://www.kamadobbq.com/

for more info. I have a PDF of the original manual. PM me and I'll send it over. It looks like you have a #3 or #4 size Imperial Kamado...Good luck!

I would say you definitely have an original Imperial. It looks just like mine, although mine has never had the wood on the handle(my parents were the original owners). The table alone is worth the $50, in my opinion. Here are some pics of mine...

5feac8ee7411ef9d20f8d8b693368742_zps128a38b9.jpg

a3d23a7d5388df581dbb2915841c88df_zpscc86d3e1.jpg

37d6a28f9718e8592185e2c7833ec466_zpsaf394832.jpg

A final note- Mine does not now, nor I believe has it ever, had a gasket.

Some good info here: http://www.kamadobbq.com/History---Restoration.html
I bought a replacement slide door from this guy (Augie) and was considering a hinge. He explains that there are no more (hinges) though he has plans to have a SS version made. I measured many Ceramic cooker hinges and though some have similar diameters, the other hinge geometry (band positioning; where the pivot point resides in space) was different. I was not able to convince myself that there was any other that would work properly.

Regarding the firebox, I ended up speaking with TK at Grill Dome. He was very familiar with the #5 and knew the guy I bought it from many years back. I took some measurements and he confirmed that his firebox would work. (I believe it was his Infinity-Large) I ordered it and it fits though there are some slight differences that shouldn't have any ill effect. http://www.grilldomeeshop.com/parts/

Per Chris89Stang above, the Naked Whiz site has a ton of good information.

Your hinge appears to be identical, the lid appears to be the same. Differences I can see are the obvious Korean top and color. The grill is slightly different. The stamped "K" on the lid is not present on mine.

The dimensions on the first link above should help to determine which size you have if it's one of the originals or an exact copy.
I'd be happy to provide any dimensions off of mine if needed for confirmation.

Had to go to a couple different BGE dealers but finally found one that had a medium BGE and it looks really really close to the same size. I took a few measurements of the medium firebox and I'll see how well it'll fit my kamado when I get home. Downside is that the medium firebox retails for about $140!

I think the plan for this weekend is try to work on the bands to get the lid opening better and then replace the front draft door. Then I'll get a fire going and try to burn out some of the built up soot. There's no thermometer on it so I'll just have to try to monitor it so it doesn't get too hot.

Back