pork loins for 100

SmokinBerto

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have to smoke pork loins for 100 next month, how many pounds. I was figuring 50 as the bride has hired a caterer to do the sides & some chicken. This is gonna be a mess as I live in SC & the wedding is in VA. I'm going up 2 days before to get a handle on things.

If it is all adults you will need roughly 60 lbs precooked weight. Loins don't shrink down much after cooking either. The weight is on the forgiving side at saying each person will eat .6lb. I normally go with a bit more so I don't run out.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how you plan to smoke 60 Lbs. Because pork loins are not large you will need a fair amount of shelf space within your smoker... I get volunteered into these kinds of challenges and could learn a lot from this.

For pork loin, 4-5 oz/person is plenty with sides. You would need about 40# raw to cover 100 people at 5 oz/person. What are your options for cookers? In general this would be 4 whole loins.

For pork loin, 4-5 oz/person is plenty with sides. You would need about 40# raw to cover 100 people at 5 oz/person. What are your options for cookers? In general this would be 4 whole loins.

Are you talking about the whole loins like they carry at Sams ? Or the roughly 12inch pork loins they have at most grocery stores ?

Just asking because when I slice pork loins into chops, I get about 14 to 15 chops at just over 1/2 inch each.

Are you talking about the whole loins like they carry at Sams ? Or the roughly 12inch pork loins they have at most grocery stores ?

Just asking because when I slice pork loins into chops, I get about 14 to 15 chops at just over 1/2 inch each.

Yes, I am talking about whole loins from Sam's. I misread your post. After cooking the loin1/2 inch portions would be about what I woild cut.. With chicken and side available 3-4 ounces of meat is great plenty.

Go heavy. Make sure everyone knows that you get the leftovers.

I just got a price for you at RD and BJ's warehouse

bjs
whole boneless pork loin
2.79/lb ~10 pounds each

RD
2.55/lb or 2.35/lb w43+ lbs
~9 to 10 pounds each

Yes, I am talking about whole loins from Sam's. I misread your post. After cooking the loin1/2 inch portions would be about what I woild cut.. With chicken and side available 3-4 ounces of meat is great plenty.

All good. Just seeking some clarity. Have seen in a couple of threads where people didn't know that the packs labeled "pork loin" at their grocery were actually 1/2 loins, and they had never seen the whole loins like at Sams or other places.

I like to inject with a simple salt/sugar/juice injection, cook hot and fast to 140, let rest a bit and deli slice. Sliced thin, a 4 oz portion looks like a lot in a sandwich. I cooked 50 lbs for a charity event a few weeks ago, just a snack after a fundraising walk. I left home about 7, prepped and injected on site, and got the first loins on about 8. We started serving around 10:15 and I had it all cooked and sliced by 10:30. Loin is easy, your Thermapen is your friend (DO NOT OVERCOOK).

I like to inject with a simple salt/sugar/juice injection, cook hot and fast to 140, let rest a bit and deli slice. Sliced thin, a 4 oz portion looks like a lot in a sandwich. I cooked 50 lbs for a charity event a few weeks ago, just a snack after a fundraising walk. I left home about 7, prepped and injected on site, and got the first loins on about 8. We started serving around 10:15 and I had it all cooked and sliced by 10:30. Loin is easy, your Thermapen is your friend (DO NOT OVERCOOK).

Deli slice as in electric slicer?

Back