Alternative to Kingsford Blue for PBC?

SpeedyOyster

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi guys.. I'm curious if anyone has tried any alternatives to the kingsford Blue in their PBC and what was your results ?

I asked this about 10 months ago (I think) and didn't get much of a reply -- I'm curious if in the past year people have tried and can let me know their thoughts.

I know the PBC guys say it cooks 'hotter' but I'm not sure if that translates into a problem with the cook or not.

Anyone's thoughts would be much appreciated ...

My neighbor uses lump in his UDS with no problems. It does burn hotter, so it requires less air to maintain the temperature and burns over a longer period of time.

My neighbor uses lump in his UDS with no problems. It does burn hotter, so it requires less air to maintain the temperature and burns over a longer period of time.

That is NOT my experience with Lump in my UDS. Alotta guys swear by it but in my experience it burned hotter but required more airflow and temps dropped off faster. KBB or Stubbs gives me longer consistent burn times.

What have your results been using alternatives to Kingsford Blue? Longer cooks? Higher temps? What about changes to the food taste?

Eric

What is it about KBB that you would like different. I found it to work great in my WSM, but did not care for it in my vertical cabinet. Just burned RO Chef Select and I loved it.

Stubbs or any lump charcoal. I use whatever I have on hand with no issues. Lump burns hotter but not by much where it affects the cook so give it a shot. Temps still at 275-300 pbc average. Ive never used kbb in my pbc.

I use Stubbs when I can get it, I like the flavor better than KBB. Haven't tried lump.

What have your results been using alternatives to Kingsford Blue? Longer cooks? Higher temps? What about changes to the food taste?

Eric

I hate all the ash that KBB produces and when I've tried cooking with lump or something more pure .. I find the taste to be 'cleaner'.. Maybe its all in my head, but that's how I feel .

'Burns hotter'. I would like to see the science behind that. I think it's advertizing BS.

'Burns hotter'. I would like to see the science behind that. I think it's advertizing BS.

With lump charcoal, I can easily get my ceramic cookers to over 1000 degrees. I have tried briquettes, and the best temperature was in the 700 range. The briquettes ash over much more which makes them burn slower.

KBB contains borax, a fire retardant, along with other ingredients that would cause it to burn at a slower rate than charred wood.

Back