Are they ruined?

BigBobBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Safety question. Florida weather has been killing my cooking. I was cooking 3 small 4 lb loin end pork roasts and had to use my convection oven due to weather. 40 minutes into the cook we lost all power. I let them cool for about 45 minutes then put them in a refrigerator to cool them off and try to keep them. We didn't get power back for 36 hours but I put bags of ice in there to keep my fridge cold which it did. My question is do you think they are safe to put back in the oven to cook them or are they just destin to be thrown out?

How confident are you that the fridge stayed under 40 degrees that whole time? If it did they are probably fine, but if it didn't anything perishable in there should be discarded.

That's way too long for me. I would continue to cook meat after a delay longer then most but that's too long for me. If ur dependent on power to cook, u should get a stick burner.

I would have cooked outside but it started pouring down rain about 30 minutes after I prepped them for my Akorn so that was why I had opted for the convection oven. I don't have a covered cooking area yet like I wish I had.

I would have cooked outside but it started pouring down rain about 30 minutes after I prepped them for my Akorn so that was why I had opted for the convection oven. I don't have a covered cooking area yet like I wish I had.

I see, unfortunately I would waste the meat if I were in ur situation. Just not worth it to risk anyone's health after 36 hours of no power.

This is a tough one. In theory, the inside of a chunk of beef (or pork too that I can tell) is safe. The baddies reside on the surface. If the surface layer is cooked sufficiently, then that is more than half your worry. I expect this was the case for you. You then kept that in the fridge at who knows what temperature, but it sounds like with the ice, it probably was in the 40s. If it were up to me, I'd take those out of the fridge and let my wife smell them. Women have a better sense of smell then men. She'll let me know. Usually, you can tell when meat's gone bad pretty easily from the smell. It's the borderline cases that are troublesome for me.

Tuff call for sure. Good thinking doing the ice. Maybe if you would have stuck them in the freezer to fast cool them. I too would err or the side of caution.

I think I will err on the side of caution and toss them and figure something out for them to munch on. Thanks

Probably best to toss them, although it was explained to me that if it are recooked
to 160 all the bacteria would be dead. Just don't know for sure

Like Gore said, do the nose test.

I would cook in the rain - I wish I had some rain

With what happened - Toss em :sad:

Back