Weekend Sausage Party!!!

Sean "Puffy" Coals

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So, when I buy ribs I pretty much always get the big packs of 2-3 full slabs because they're the cheapest. I get them home and immediately cut them into St. Louis cuts, pull the membranes off, pack in Food Saver bags and freeze.

What do I do with the rest?

CAM00791_zpszfmh2dc9.jpg

I get as much meat off the bones as possible, cube it up and freeze it in a giant Food Saver bag to make SAUSAGE!!!!

I have no idea how much this bag weighs because I don't own a scale. So I'm gonna go see if I can find a scale so i can get my seasoning amounts correct.

Last time I made sausage, I tried to make a traditional BBQ Smokehouse sausage and an "italian" sausage with no fennel because my wife doesn't like it. The italian came out pretty good, but the BBQ was under-seasoned.

This time I want to try something different. I found this all pork Andouille recipe:

Ground pork
1.0 lb
Salt (Diamond Crystal) 0.4 tbsp
Cayenne 0.03 tsp
Sage 0.05 tsp
Ground cloves
0.05 tsp
Mace
0.05 tsp
Ground Allspice
0.05 tsp
Ground Bayleaf
0.05 tsp
Ground back pepper
0.2 tbsp
Thyme
0.1 tbsp
Garlic 1.0 clove

Anyone got any other suggestions?

If your looking for a good Andoulile recipe, Google "NOLA Cuisine Andouile".
It's very good.

^this. Excellent andouille. Jeff Wheeler's hot links are also a personal favorite. They're posted on this site in 30 places. So good.

Edit. Here it is.

Bigwheel's Genuine Texas Hotlinks
AKA: Jeff Wheeler

6-7 lbs. Boston Butt
1 bottle beer
2 T. coarse ground black pepper
2 T. crushed red pepper
2 T. Cayenne
2 T. Hungarian Paprika
2 T. Morton«s Tender Quick
1 T. Kosher Salt
1 T. Whole Mustard Seeds
1/4 cup minced fresh garlic
1 T. granulated garlic
1 T. MSG
1 t. ground bay leaves
1 t. whole anise seeds
1 t. coriander
1 t. ground thyme

Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the beer
and place in refrigerator while you cut up the meat
to fit in the grinder.
Pour the spiced beer over the meat and mix well.
Run meat and spice mixture through the fine plate
and mix again. Stuff into medium hog casings.
Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in
a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy.

Got up early this morning and feeling friskies. But apparently i got lazy the last time I trimmed ribs because this whole pack of sausage meat was not cubed up.

CAM00792_zpsaosgienj.jpg

Oh well. I cut it up into approx 1/2"-3/4" cubes.

CAM00793_zpsa8r0luz1.jpg

For those of you who are wondering, the trimmings and flap meat of 4 full slabs of spares weighs about 7.5lbs.

Now I have to make a run to the butcher shop to get my casings.

Obviously using one of these pans to make some andouille, but still undecided about the rest.

I thought about just sprinkling some of my Dynamite (tm) Rib Rub over the meat.

Any more suggestions???

All set up and ready to go!

CAM00794_zpsx8tyul5o.jpg

Andouille? You bet your sweet a$$ we do!!!

CAM00795_zpsmjnneick.jpg

Did the other batch with my Dynamite (tm) Rib/PP Rub. Basically gonna end up being a smoked sweet/spicy link.

I did them in 2 different sizes so I could tell which is which.

CAM00796_zpssomhzg7k.jpg

Running short on time today, so i'm gonna fridge 'em until tomorrow. Post more pics and tasting notes then.

Thanks for lookin!

I've used yardbird rub as a base for some sausage before and it was great. What brand of casings are you using that is all one long rope? The brands I have been getting all have them in about 2'-3' feet lengths.

I couldn't wait for tomorrow! Now i'm gonna be cooking well into the night.

Smoker humming at 175* b/150* t. Planning on 3-4 hrs of smoke time.

CAM00797_zps4fjyuhel.jpg

CAM00800_zpss0374bhi.jpg

Last edited:
I've used yardbird rub as a base for some sausage before and it was great. What brand of casings are you using that is all one long rope? The brands I have been getting all have them in about 2'-3' feet lengths.

I actually just go to the meat counter of my local market and tell them how much I want and they throw it in a baggie and label it up for me. they charge $10/lb for it, but i bought 1/4 lb and didn't even use half of it for all that i made. They must get it in full lengths cause they usually give it to me in 2 or 3 nice long pieces.

Total cook time was about 3.5 hrs. Temps eventually settled in to 155*/160*

The sweets:

CAM00803_zpsmy9w4bpv.jpg

The Andouille:

CAM00804_zpsypt3dyeq.jpg

Cut:

CAM00805_zpsk3gdoja1.jpg

Texture: Both kinds were a little...dry(?) compared to most commercially produced sausages i've had but just the same as all the other batches i've made so far. I assume this is because i don't add phosphates and glutamines and farbledy-fractanimaze like they do in commercial stuff.

The flavor of the sweets was good, but could have used more seasoning. Next time i'll have to add more rub before stuffing.

The flavor of the Andouille is surprisingly very good. I thought it might end up weak due to the conversions and multiplying the ".02 tsps" and crap that the original recipe was written in, but i must have made some good guesses. I didn't end up following the recipe exactly tho as i didn't have any mace on hand and i added a tbsp of paprika.

Sausage is cooling now. As soon as its ready i'll be food savering and freezing most of it.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Inspired by how good the andouille came out, i decided to make a big ol' pot of jambalaya. Threw in some chicken along with the sausage. After cooking I killed the heat and threw in a pound and a half of shrimp.

11156135_1114170048597641_2885879894483281628_n_zpsomnqdlbb.jpg

Plated with some white rice.

10351828_1114382398576406_1719415222593452289_n_zpsukqtyser.jpg

It was damn good! A nice change of pace.

The next day i was rummaging thru my freezer and found another big pack of sausage meat that I didn't know I had. So you know what that means.....Keep an eye out for the "Sausage Party 2: Slurpy's Revenge" thread coming in the next week or so!!!!

Back