Crispy Skin... Yet Another Skin Question??

TedW

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
No doubt this topic is beat to death, and opinions differ. One thing is for sure, there are many roads to Rome.

Some do a low and slow at 325 or lower, others nail it at 450 in a convection oven. Some brine, some don't Some dry in the fridge, some don't. And they're all fine ways to go.

I'm specifically wondering about one new item I've seen a couple videos on now. After the brine, there's a dip in boiling H2O for 30 seconds, then ice bath, then repeat.

Some would place in oven after that second blanch, others re-refrigerate to dry.

Anyone blanch a chicken this way for the benefit of the skin?

Define Crispy> as in crunchy like tater chips or tender & bite through.

^^^^ THIS. Even at 475 you won't get crispy. You should get bite-through.

350-400 will get you crispy skin not extra crispy just crispy...need to let the fat from the skin render out.

Anything you do in particular to render the fat? Just low temp + time. Anyone use oil in the rub when temps are 325 and under? Does oil at lower temps keep skin soft?

Mayonaise
34ba50bf-b4db-435f-9307-ad4b41ad09b9.jpg

DSCF0123.jpg

DSCF0127.jpg

DSCF0129.jpg

What i have done in the past which is similar slightly is started the chicken out covered to soften the skin, then finished uncovered, kind of poached the skin. It worked and being that chicken sucks up flavor it was still smokey

I'm thinking oil in the rub means it needs to be crisped at 450 at the end to get a little crunch

Titch- what temps you cook at? Was there any oil in your rub?

Back